sounds like two trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 22, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Can anyone tell me how in certain parts of carnival of venice they can make it sound like there are two trumpets playing at the same time? Please don't say practice. I would like to know exactly what has to be done.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Not sure what you mean. At what point in the video do you think it sounds like two trumpets?

YouTube - Wynton Marsalis Carnival Of Venice

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I like the honesty in your question. It really does sound like two trumpets. What will help you sound like two trumpets is to accent the melody notes and play the other notes softer in the 16th-note patterns.

Mike

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    SB,

Look at 2'42" - this is the last variation in your music sheet. There is actually 2 different voices, or even if you like, 2 different characters. The first one is represented by the low notes - it is actually the theme of the carnival, that appears one octave down, compared to the register, in which is written when the theme, brought up for a first time. The other is just a turn, or a grupetto as as Italians calls it on the note of C (or B flat in concert pitch). You don't have to worry about the turn that much - once you get it down, play it softly - it is not a big deal. To make it sound like too different instruments you need to bring upfront the theme in the low register. To achieve that you need to play these notes slightly louder, accentuated and possible slightly longer. Make sure that quality the turn is not affected by the theme in the lower register (if you tongue it too hard you may have trouble to start the turn in time and in tune). Hope that helps. By the way, Wynton does it brilliantly and with a lot of elegance. It is a good example of what must be done there.

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    trumpetnick, that's exactly the part I was referring to. Thank you so much for telling me how it's done. Wynton sure makes it look easy.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just a thought, but isn't it written that way, with accents on the melody notes?

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Pat,

I know that it is not written that way, but if I would have to write it down exactly as I tend to play it it would be accents and non-legato, but in real performance I would make those accents also to sound a bit like bells. I think that everyone got my point. What is required indeed is that the melody notes should be audibly louder than the turns, and possibly slightly longer without affecting the rhythmical pattern. However, is it unpractical to put a different dynamic mark every 4 notes, so that would be achieved IMO easier by putting accents.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you sure that line isn't written with accents on the melody notes? I thought it was. I also think that playing the melody notes accented, in a marcato fashion - not long, and not bell-like. Then again, it's probably different thoughts that probabaly amount to the same thing in when the rubber hits the road.

The best way to learn it is to listen to it, and IMO the best version to use for that is the version that Maurice Andre recorded.

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Pat,

Most editions put the accents on, but there is no uniformity in all editions concerning articulations in the Arban book, especially in the songs with variations at the end of the book. Maurice has made several recording of the carnival and all are top-notch as far as musicality and technique is concerned, but personally I like more the sound of some other players, like Wynton Marsalis, Gabriele Cassone and David Guerrier. Below you can see what I mean on the Cassone version:

YouTube - Gabriele Cassone - Carnaval, Arban

Gerrier's version is a bit lousier, partly because of the band (I cannot tel that I am impressed by their intonation)

YouTube - David Guerrier - Carnival Of Venice - Variations sur le Carnaval de Venise

I really like Guerriers sound, but find that the band makes his job a little too hard.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC