sounds like two trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 22, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I can't thank you all enough for the time you take to answer my questions. The videos are just great, along with all the explanations.

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I played this when I was muuuuuch younger! 15 years ago! And I remember playing the "B" part on the last variation with one finger! Ah, memories, I have to try right away..:-)

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    What also really helps is for you to practice page 91 through 98. Take two lines per week and really pay attention to the softness of the upper/sixteenth line vs the staccato'd "melody" notes.

It is also helpful if you practice them separately. Do the line without the "melody" notes in rhythm. Make it REALLY soft. As soft as you can. And then practice just the "melody" notes as FULL-Sounding as you can. Loud, but not blaring.

When you get both REALLY under your fingers/breath separately, then try joining them together. Really really bring out the melody note and then make the sixteenth notes really really soft.

If you are able to exaggerate this in a very contrasting way, then you can start controlling the dynamics of each and get it to really really sound good.

The ones on pages 92 and 93 with major/minor get to be really fun if you can get the desired effect.

Also, practicing intervals will also help a LOT. These are on page 125. You need to be able to do them in 4 different ways (written at the bottom of the page):
    1. Staccato as written
    2. Slurring down the interval
    3. Slurring up the interval
    4. Slur the whole line in one breath.

Have fun! I nailed this last variation for informal juries last year... The tone wasn't the best but the pitches were solid. I think it was pure adrenaline... :play:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The key to ANY piece with variations is bringing the melody out. That is most easily marked with accents. The better our command of the instrument, the more tools that we have to play with. For most of us, accents are just fine - and not musically in the way.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You'd have to do that by using the alternate fingering of 3rd valve for the A's, right?

I'm sitting here looking in my Arban's book, and granted, I know there are upmteen different printings and variations on this book, but in mine all of the melody notes are denoted with accents - I was pretty sure they were, but I wanted to look at it to make sure.

6. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think this is also evident in Hummel Mvt 1, near the end?

7. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I remember hearing the great Al Hirt playing "The Carnival Of Venice" in Atlantic City many years ago. Before playing the piece he said your not a trumpet player until you can play the Arban from cover to cover. Needless to say he played it beautifully.