Source of On-line Scores

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Jul 4, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lads and Lassies,

Washington Music Center (Centre ref: C.O.D.) has is a source
    of charts available on-line - I thought you may be interested.

Trumpet

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It looks like an interesting site. But, I ran into a bit of a problem. I searched for trumpet scores (what else?) and the first things that came up were trumpet parts for concert band arrangements. So, I figured that this could be a way to buy materials for the entire band to play. But, I could not find any place on the site to obtain a consolidated listing of all of the instrument scores available for any particular piece. So, it looks like I would need to repeatedly search using the name of every conceivable instrument to compile my own list - and then it is not clear that there would be a conductor's score. I tried the HELP function to see if there were any hints but the site does not seem to display any help information (at least when using Google Chrome browser). Ted, have you tried to do this? Do you know if there are any scores for trumpet solos which include a piano accompaniment?

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    CBK,

No I haven't used it - I received this link, from WMC, as a store emailed newsletter. My experience of WMC (always very positive) is usually over the phone - seems odd from Oz to Washington but it works OK when I tumble out of bed just before sunrise each morning. Give them a ring - it has always worked well for me.

Regards,

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Scouring the internet for scores is tough.

I used to go to places like freehand, but I once got a new credit card and within ten transactions I had it stolen. Unfortunately freehand was one of those ten places, so I am wary.

Is there anyplace like that, that accepts paypal? Or other third party authentication?

5. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
  6. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Have a look at virtualmusic.com mainly a classical site but it isn't too bad as far as being user-friendly. pay about $40 for a year and you can down;oad the whole site, if you wish.

7. charles1963

charles1963 New Friend

May 15, 2009
  8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
  9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
  10. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Editions Bim has great music, but it's all print music. They do have some sample pages from some of their works for free download, but you need to buy the music to get the complete works. Their editions are available through many retailers such as Hickey's Music in Ithaca (good on-line ordering experience).

But Editions Bim shouldn't be in a thread about "source of on-line scores" since you can't get the complete works.

IMSLP has trumpet parts for many different orchestral works (along with all the other parts, if you have friends who play other instruments) and it's all free, in PDF format.

Classical Sheet Music Downloads by Virtual Sheet Music has two ways of procuring their scores -- you can pay for each download individually, or subscribe for an entire year of unlimited downloads for something like $30 or $40 dollars. They've got a lot of solos with accompaniments along with brass quartet and quintet arrangements. They've also got lots of music for all the instruments, so if you have other musicians in the house, it's a very reasonably priced way to get some great music. And all the music comes with midi files as well as MP3 files if you want to download them, so you can have practice accompaniments.