Source of trumpet valve blocks and pistons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jan 8, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Anybody have ANY idea where one might go to find new valve blocks and pistons to use in a project? I would LOVE to get my hands on a couple dozen sets maybe at a time...even the assembly used on a plastic Tiger trumpet would be ok...Important to be a repeatable purchase of identical pieces and dirt cheap...nothing hard.
    I message Warburton, but they probably immediately pegged me (correctly) as a crackpot and didn't reply.
    I am wanting to build some SUPERCOMPACT plastic pocket trumpets...
    I would even be happy to buy customer returned Tiger trumpets that have been smashed or crushed (provided the valve bodies were intact).

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    if you want brass valve blocks, there are options. But if you want plastic, I would think you'd need to buy more than a dozen. I would bet you'd have to be interested in buying a lot of them to have it be worth a companies time to deal with you, and you'd probably have to contact the manufacturer directly. If you call tiger, or tromba or pbone, why would they sell you parts to make a pocket trumpet when they are probably working on a pocket trumpet of their own?

3. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Have you tried Carol Brass? They supply to many different manufactures.

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Good idea, but do they make plastic valve sets/casings? (but they do make great brass valve blocks indeed)

5. fuzzyhaze

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    No they don't, as far as I know, my mistake. I didn't properly read the OP's question. He specifically wants plastic valve blocks!

But I'd do some online research. Find out all the makers that do make plastic trumpets, then contact them and their suppliers/manufacturers. I would imagine that a factory in Taiwan or China would be happy to sell someone a small quantity of either valve blocks or seconds. My own limited experience of buying online from Taiwan and China (e-Bay etc.) is that no ammount however small is gratefully and graciously accepted.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you!
    Yes, to be cheap enough the blocks would either have to be off trashed instruments (and therefore probably brass) or cheap new units...but with using a variety of trashed units I would be running into different port locations, different sizes, different shapes...that would be a problem for me as I am wanting to make a formed mold to make the halves of the unit body. Plastic valve bodies would seem appropriate for a plastic instrument, but not strictly necessary. I will contact the manufacturers...I WAS thinking that it would be great if I could simply put myself in the loop of the inevitable product returns for the plastic Tiger trumpet...that way I could get the valves for pennies on the dollar, and maybe recycle the mouthpiece also...and perhaps the very outer portion of the bell.

7. fuzzyhaze

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
  8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    According to your suggestion, here's my communication to the manufacturer of PTrumpet:

​Good day! LOVE your trumpets!

I am working on a little custom project for which I need several sets of valves/valve bodies at a time and was HOPING...HOPING...that it would be possible to procure some sets from you for my little project.

I would need the valve casing, pistons, top and bottom caps, finger buttons, springs, but NOT any slide tubing (I am going to make my own tuning slides and tubing).

This will be a VERY SMALL number of units I will be making as a novelty item, and since the items will be plastic (or simply acrylic resin) it would be appropriate to use your amazing plastic valves.

Please? I am a retired hobbyist in North Carolina (USA).

Another way I thought of getting the valve sets I need would be to put myself somehow in the loop to buy returned/damaged instrument coming back from the retailers on service claims. I could reclaim the valves from those instruments very efficiently.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as this would be fun, delightful, and neat...I would be happy to share with you my project notions if you are interested.

Thank you!

Gordon

9. fuzzyhaze

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Got to be worth a try at least, as they say in Newcastle ''shy bairns get nowt''.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, Carol Brass supplies Harrilson. Jason loves them as he says their blocks are always made to their standard, faithfully.