Southern Universities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Ok, I'm a Junior at a samll high school in middle Tennessee. We have a reputable program and when very often. Recruiting comes from the few universities around us. Cumberland, Tenn Tech, MTSU, possibly UT, and maybe Belmont if we have some really outstanding players. We have also had people win scholarships from Freed-Hardmon and Carson-Newman. But, I don't necessarily want to be confined by distance.

Does anybody know any other universities with great programs, not just in Tennessee, but in the surrounding states?

Can I also get names of the trumpet professors thatare there currently?

Thanks in advance. :D

2. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    There are tons of great schools in the south. In your state, MTSU with Michael Arndt and Jamey Simmons is not to be under estimated. In Kentucky I know good things about the program at the University of Louisville and Michael Tunnell. Greg Wing at Morehead State is an extraordinary player and teacher.

The key is to find the school that fits your personal goals and a teacher you can relate to.

3. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Well, I know Charles Decker at Tennessee Tech so nobody need to give me that info. Thanks for the post.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    double-g, if you can tell us alittle more about that , we might be able to help you out a little more.

5. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Major in Trumpet Performance or Music Education not sure which one yet. Leaning towards performance. Minor in Jazz trumpet performance.

It would be nice to finish in two or three years, but I don't think that will happen even with me going in the summer.

6. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Here are a few, if you're not worried about driving a ways.

LSU - James West
    Southern Miss - Joel Treybig
    UGA - Fred Mills & Edward Sandor

The trumpet studio at Alabama (my school) is improving a lot under John McElroy, who will be in his third year teaching there this fall; however, there has been a lot of turnover in other areas of the School of Music and there will probably be some big news about another faculty spot opening up at the end of this coming year. I would definitely recommend studying with Mr. McElroy, but I would wait and see what's up with the rest of the School.

Also, Leonard Candelaria, former professor at North Texas, teaches at UAB in Birmingham; however, they only offer Music Ed and it's in a downtown setting. The academic portion of the music program isn't that great either.

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I still see that as pretty general, and something that could be done in state, what specific goals do you have with in performance or education. In my mind it should be something pretty big to make it worth the price tag that out of state will add to your college cost of the course of 4 years.

BTW you should plan on being in college 4-5 years.

8. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    On the education side, high school band. I probably won't be good enough for college and I wouldn't have patience for anyone much younger. Love kids, but there comes a point when that love becomes annoyance.

In performance, I would like to join a stage band or something. I thought about going into the army on music and join one of there million and a half regimental stage bands. That's why I AM going to get my minor in jazz performance.

9. Blue Band

Blue Band New Friend

Feb 16, 2006
    I can only give you feedback on college marching bands.
    Great Programs in the south:
    FAMU
    Bethune-Cookman College
    University of Texas
    Virginia Tech

Great Programs in the north:
    Ohio State
    Illinois
    Michigan
    Penn State

10. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I am from TN also. I went to UT for a year. It did not suit me that well, but some are just fine at UT.

I transferred to UK after my freshman year and have been very happy here. Clodfelter is a great teacher (he is the only reason I am here, heh) Since you mention the military bands, we have had 3 people leave for jobs in the military in the past 2 years, all E6 premier band jobs.

TN Tech is a very good music school and Decker is a great teacher from what I hear. I have a few friends down there and they seem to enjoy the school alot.

MTSU, TN Tech, UK, NC school of the arts, UGA, IU are all schools worth checking out.