Spanish language trumpet method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 36393, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 36393

36393 New Friend

Feb 21, 2009
    Hi Everyone,

Today I was asked if I could recommend a trumpet method for an adult who is an absolute beginner. It might be helpful to the person asking if the the text was in the Spanish language as English is his second language.

I am not a trumpet teacher and it has been decades since I learned to play so I do not know what is popular and in print.

What are your recommendations for books/DVDs in either Spanish or English?

Thanks

2. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Get a private teacher ASAP

DIY will make you noo good, you will ruin yourself, and will end up with 48 mouthpieces and funky embouchure

// well, I think am finally assimilarted into this community

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Arban book is the industry standard and available in just about all languages.

Método Arban - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

4. Aerotrom

Aerotrom New Friend

Jul 17, 2008
    Spain
    As Rowuk says, the Arban method is available in spanish (I have it, since I'm spanish :-)) . The person should be able to get it.

I know about some others that I found in emule, like the Maggio method (I never got to use it), which is also written in spanish (is more "american spanish" though).

5. 36393

36393 New Friend

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks all,

Google searches were not yielding the results I was hoping for, so I posted here. I have the impression that the fellow asking for the recommendation is on a tight budget, so I thought there might be something a little less daunting than Arban. I can't disagree about finding a trumpet teacher, but again, if this guy is on a tight budget, I would rather start him with encouragement rather than tell him he will never learn without spending lots of money. Louis Armstrong did pretty well without a teacher. (Yes, I know, for every Louis Armstrong there are a ten million others who failed.)

Thanks

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is what good friends are for - hiding the truth.

The biggest favor ANYONE can do for themselves when learning something new, is to at least get a qualified start. You don't need one of the top players in the world to do this. Very often local wind bands have decent players or programs to train newbies. That is MUCH better than DIY trial and error. Louis Armstrong is an excellent example of how someone can do everything technically so wrong, but have so much talent that it doesn't matter. Check the scars out on Satchmos lips.

Rupture of the Orbicularis Oris in Trumpet Players (Satchmo's Syndrome)

I wouldn't wish that on ANYBODY!

Do your spanish speaking buddy a favor and tell them the truth. Trumpet is more fun with an Amigo/Amiga...................... or was that an Amante?

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is what good friends are for - hiding the truth.

The biggest favor ANYONE can do for themselves when learning something new, is to at least get a qualified start. You don't need one of the top players in the world to do this. Very often local wind bands have decent players or programs to train newbies. That is MUCH better than DIY trial and error. Louis Armstrong is an excellent example of how someone can do everything technically so wrong, but have so much talent that it doesn't matter. Check the scars out on Satchmos lips.

Rupture of the Orbicularis Oris in Trumpet Players (Satchmo's Syndrome)

I wouldn't wish that on ANYBODY!

Do your spanish speaking buddy a favor and tell them the truth. Trumpet is more fun with an Amigo/Amiga...................... or was that an Amante?

8. 36393

36393 New Friend

Feb 21, 2009
    Again, I can't disagree with that.

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    OMG it seems you are on the mission here.

Satchmo's is easily avoided if you play soft, low and quiet for at least first three years

You know, lately I practice from 11PM untill 1AM, w/o mute of anykind, and my 2y/o and wife are sleeping. And nobody gets woken up. Because it is as quiet as it can be, only whisper. I am not afraid of satchmo's desease

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    FM,
    whether or not anyone can reach Satchmos level of playing or not is another story. Playing softly is one of thousands of tools to become the best that we can. Let's not forget the complete cycle: start playing, sound from the room that we are playing in comes back to the ears, our brain tells the muscles what to do or change.

The finest players also spend time in big, good sounding rooms making them resonate. That does not have to be at fortissimo.

Fine playing is not only accomplished in the practice room.

There is no time line for quiet playing. You can mess your chops up very quickly even if you have been playing softly for 30 years!