special effects...WHO KNOW'S WHAT'S OUT THERE?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 20, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    There are a number of special effects that trumpet players can create on their horn just by using mutes, their tounge, lips, and hands. But, is there an electronic gadget made for trumpet that would give the effects a guitar player gets out of a wah-wah peddle, reverb or a distortion box, or the like? I guess you could mike the horn and put it through an amp with reverb, but I'm interested in echo, and the mirad of other special effects. Aside from those with a "purist" mentality, WHO KNOWS WHAT'S OUT THERE?

2. Chris Teixeira

Chris Teixeira New Friend

Oct 20, 2007
    Boston
    Mic the horn and use guitar pedals (lots of people use wah-wah with trumpet) or rack effects.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yeah, those rack effects cover a huge range. A digital delay gives us tons of echo effects, all the way to a "playing in the sewer under the Taj Mahal" kind of sound. Something that would be wonderful to have (even though they don't always work) is a pitch to midi converter, where we can use our trumpet to trigger a synthesizer, all the way to "a viola playing in the sewer under the Taj Mahal." Unfortunately, the current picth to midi converters don't always work, so some guys buy one of those electronic trumpets for all the really weird stuff. It's facinating and fun, but for the most part, the trumpet sounds so cool it's hard to find anything better! A little echo doesn't hurt, so check out a digital delay. Have fun!

4. mahaberio

mahaberio Piano User

Apr 30, 2006
    You can basically do anything you want with a microphone and someone who knows what they're doing on Max/MSP.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Listen to Roy Hargrove's RH Factor. He uses tons of amazing effects in that band. They have tons of videos on youtube.

6. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    yeah man i saw Adam Rapa do this live. It was sick.

7. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I was thinking of taking a Silent Brass setup and micing it into an amp instead of headphones. Has anyone tried this? I guess they don't make something specifically for trumpet so I'll try some of the things you TMers suggested........thanks, crow

8. ZachAttack919

ZachAttack919 New Friend

Oct 5, 2007
    I personally love doing effects on trumpet. I use a yamaha silent brass system, and run an 8th inch on both ends cable from the output of the silent system box to an 8th inch female 4th inch male adaptor, into a guitar effects unit. Then I use a regular guitar cable out of the effects unit to an amplifier, or even to a 4th inch female to two AV male for connecting to a television.

Using echo effects on the trumpet is a blast and will entertain you for some time. :-)

9. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Check out Ingrid Jensen on the first track of Sky Blue, Maria Schneider orchestra. Great album.

Cuong Vu - uses effects with a lot of his own music and with the Pat Metheney Group.
    Cuong Vu
    MySpace.com - Cuong Vu - Experimental / Ambient / Rock - www.myspace.com/cvtrio
    There are tons of cool YouTube videos of Coung Vu doing his thing.

Also check out Robin Eubanks - He is a trombonist. He uses lots of effects with his band EB3. He does have a video podcast availble on itunes for free download.

Robin Eubanks
    http://www.myspace.com/robineubanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  10. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use a custom modified (I modded all the sounds personally to sync with the dynamic range of the trumpet) Digitech Vocal 300 processor. I love adding something to my sound during concerts.

I think I have some soundfiles with effects on my website and putfile page (http://www.putfile.com/jazzmanta).

-T

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007