special effects...WHO KNOW'S WHAT'S OUT THERE?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 20, 2007.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    How could you guys leave out Bill Chase' "Open Up Wide?"

One of the first use of trumpet reverberation I heard. That was the early 1970's. I heard him do it live as the show opener and it knocked me out.

I am all for a little counter point reverb duet. Can you "trade fours" with your own playing?

2. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm glad I brought you "like minded" TMers out. Thanks for all the suggestions.........crow

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm sure it would be a fortune but does anyone know of a way of accomplishing these special effects without a wire hanging from the trumpet? And while I'm at it can anyone recommend a good clip-on microphone for the trumpet to be used in connection with the sound effect devices?

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Just use a mic that a singer would use. Then you can still play your effects without the wire. Or get a wireless mic.

5. mahaberio

mahaberio Piano User

Apr 30, 2006
    I'm sure there are wireless clip-on microphones but you're probably looking at a good deal of money for one. If this is something you plan on using often then it would be a good investment. Another investment would be Max/MSP (I think it's Apple computers only). It's a pretty penny but if you know how to use it you can do literally anything you want with it, live processing is doesn't even scratch the surface.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    If you have a Mac, there are some very simple effects you can add with Garage Band. It's a cheap way to start experimenting if you've already got the equipment.

-jiim

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    thanks to all..........crow

8. ZachAttack919

ZachAttack919 New Friend

Oct 5, 2007
    I remember Bill Chase. :cool: I actually have some duets where it's one line and the second player just plays everything one measure behind. These are a hoot with electronic delay!!

9. mellowmood_in_ventura

mellowmood_in_ventura New Friend

Dec 4, 2008
    I'll mention one useful special-effect for valved-brass winds, and that's what I call the 'half-valve' effect, which consists of pressing the piston down partially. Now, if the piston's *stay* there, then you will need more oil, but otherwise, this nifty technique can be put to good use to fade(trail notes off), or provide subtleties, or to obtain a ghostly sound.
    Amongst the finest(and well-know) examples of this technique are on recordings by Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass...a prime example is his recording of "Passion Play", from the album "Bullish" for a *very* impressive performance of this effect. A lengthy passage of half-tones culminates with a syth that takes over, followed by some of the nicest muted trumpet playing in Miles Davis' classic 'Harmon mute' style. Very pleasing:-)
    Also, listen to the classic by Perez Prado "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" for a further example of just to apply this cool technique. Now get to your horn and have fun creating...get some growls going, and triple-tonguing along with some upper-tones etc, and you'll have a terrific time taking your trumpet(cornet or flügelhorn) to exciting new levels of personal expression!

10. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY

A good clip on mic will run you at least 600 new.

Max/MSP can can be used on PC as well. Very cool program