special effects...WHO KNOW'S WHAT'S OUT THERE?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 20, 2007.

1. walnut soap

walnut soap New Friend

Feb 29, 2004
    USA
    Comrades-
    For live gigs I like the Korg Mini-Kaoss pad.
    A good selection of interesting effects you actually control in real time.
    Some in stereo.
    Including some good distortion, delays, reverbs, "slicer" etc.
    About $150...
    respetfully-
    Walnut

2. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    I know he's been mentioned already, but Adam Rapa is the man for this kind of thing. Check out his album 'Life On The Road'. There's a couple of vids on YouTube of him doing it too. SilentBrass into a guitar amp for the distorted stuff. I guess he runs the signal through a rack mounted multi-effect for other stuff, but I dunno. He posts on here sometimes so maybe he'll chip in. :D

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I just added a mic to my renuzit homemade practice mute. Then you can hook your mike up to a walkman for poor man's silent brass sytem or into your stereo assumeing you have a nice rack system worth hooking into etc..... If you have a laptop and some sound studio software again you are good to go...... almost endless. Now you will need to goto the old style phono jack if you want to plug into a rack or effect pedals etc........ The first thing I ever did as a kid was duct tape an army loud speaker to a mike stand witht he trigger duct taped as well. I would burrie the bell in that end of of that and over blow and it would produce some crazie distortion. THen I tried mutes along with that...Then I tried putting mikes in zip lock bags and tossing them into my fish tank and playing like made......... Play around with what you have then use any technology you have to shape the sound take the edge off etc....... Eventualy you will find a way to get that sound with out haveing to dink with it on your laptop. This is poor man's way of course. If you have money go out and start small and play around. Take the cover off some of the componets and see if replaceing various resistors and transistors changes the sound etc...... A lot of big cities will have someopne that will make a side liveing off customizeing various effect box's to get a unigue sound. When you are ready you can go digital and start buildingup a rack system etc......

I grew up inthe 1980's when almost everyone thought they where an amature DJ and Mix Master!!!! Back then every 3rd kid in highschool had an amature music studio in his house or an amature dark room etc....... Not like today where everyone lives onthe computer and never tries anything.So get their play around, use your imagination and when you have money take a small step and do everything you think you can do with that small step until you are exhausted with it then move on to somethign else.

One of my friends in H.S. and latter in college was the first one to patent a ground loop elimanator for high power set-up's to prevent performers from getting shocked by their mike. They all played around with everything they got their hands on. If ebay had been around back then these guys would have been good to go.

If you can not find all digital cheaply think about getting 5-6 pedals and a reverb and an eq to get started along with an amp and mixing board to control it all. That would get you started in a big way.

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    well, this is an old post, but i was wondering, what would be some good pedals,(CHEAP!), to start with...?

5. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

6. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    wow... every one said he was good... but thats awesome... is that computer? or just pedal, i want to use that kind of effect, it blew me away... that would be great over some of my moms music... pure awesomness