Specialty Rentals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nerf, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hi there!

After a rather exhaustive internet search, that came up with nothing, I thought I would seek advice here. Does anyone know of a place where "specialty" trumpets can be rented? I can go down to my local Music & Arts Center, or other music store, & try to rent something there. But all they're going to understand is that I want to rent a trumpet & try to give me a student horn no matter how much explaining is involved.

I thought maybe Dillon or some place like that, but cannot see where they rent on their website. Specifically, I'm looking for an Eb (no, I don't have one) and Bb bass. I have an idea that has been cooking around in my head for a while & thought I would try to give it life.

Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    As far as I know, the best “rental” for an Eb would be a nice friend who could let you borrow one. I do not know of any place that rents them as they are specialty horns and wouldn’t make very much profit, especially because of the cost of buying one. Say a store bought a new Schilke for $3000, and then rented it out every 6 months to someone for maybe $100 for a couple weeks. That would take a very long time to make money the back, much less make any profit. Unfortunately, that’s what most businesses look at instead of supplying a small need but a very good one.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    My store rents any instrument that you want, but it's a little far from VA...

Nerf and BigDub like this.
  4. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yea, I get it. I knew that going into writing this post. I kick myself everyday for not purchasing on back when I was in college. But, we live & learn. It's still on the wish list (along with a bass trumpet and others). I'll just have to save more of my lunch money. Thanks!

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    This could be a business idea? Getting specialty trumpets and renting them out?

Bass trumpets are rare birds, they are rare and they go priced high......
    Eb trumpets are more of a 'getting right price for it' horn.

Nerf likes this.
  6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Again, it’s not a good business idea for the reasons I listed above...nobody wouldmake any money doing it.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The limited use and quirkiness of an Eb trumpet make it a liability to any retailer. Those that want to buy one want either brand new or huge discounts for used. For playing the Haydn or Hummel in college (2 big reasons to have one), there always seems to be a prof or student with a decent one available.
    I have a D/Eb Selmer Radial that only really gets used as a D trumpet anymore. I play the Haydn and Hummel on the rotary Bb.

8. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You make an interesting point about trumpet usage. Thinking back to my college days, NO BODY used a D trumpet for ANYTHING! I was told that ALL transpositions were made on C trumpet "so you'd better get used to transposing". I found it odd when playing Mozart, for example, in orchestra where the trumpet parts are just exercises in arpeggios.

I have also seen a rise in the use of "German rotary Bb trumpets" to play Haydn/Hummel. Is this just a European thing or a German thing?

9. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I don’t know about German or European but it makes sense- the sound is closer to what it would have been originally

10. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Maybe, but having never even held a rotary, much less played one, I do not have a point of reference.