Specific Military Band Questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AaronPlaysTrumpet, Jul 5, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Not to worry, chenzo. Unfortunately, your comment followed BustedChops comments which, IMO, were disrespectful to military musicians. Hopefully we're now moving on to discussing Kenny Dorham or the latest voodoo science as applied to trumpet technology. ;-)

To answer your question, Air Force and Navy Bandsmen are full-time musicians. To the best of my knowledge none have acted in combat support roles in any of the recent wars. I can't speak to the Army and Marine musicians, some (not all) of whom are tied more closely to combat support units.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I stand corrected in regards to the Air Force Bands' training. The purpose of my response to the OP was to demonstrate that during the audition I witnessed, regardless of the fact that the applicant could not read music. The Chief Warrant Officer conducting the audition spent so much time working with the applicant. This demonstrated the patience and concern with the applicant. So, to the OP, do not worry about the audition phase. Remember, you are only auditioning, not signing the contracts. You decide whether or not you like the situation.

Go Kehaulani! and thank you for both your service and insights.

3. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    And if I'm not mistaking, that's the reason for a subtle difference in the name that escapes most folks. It's the US Marine Band, not the US Marine Corps Band. Would that be correct?

5. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Yes, although officially, at least for many years, it was the Band of the United States Marine Corps. You are correct in that it is not the Marine Corps Band.

6. Byfbo96

Byfbo96 New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hi Aaron, I'd like to give you some info. I am an active duty Navy trumpet player with almost 16 yrs in the program and besides being a full time trumpet player I am also the auditions coordinator at our band in VA. The first thing I would suggest is to go onto the Navy Music Program website:

Navy Music Program

you will find listings of fleet band all over the world. Second, I would call the audition coordinator at the closest Navy Band and talk with him about the audition and current manning situation. The basic requirements are : Prepared piece(s) with different styles, scales - Major, Nat. minor, Harmonic minor, melodic minor, all 2 octaves with the arpeggio at the end, and sight reading. If you can play jazz/read changes (such as an Aebersol CD's etc.)it would be helpful to hear what you can do, but it certainly won't hurt you if you choose not to do that. Auditions generally last about 30 mins to an hour. It is a good idea to contact a local recruiter and let them know of your interests. They should do a basic background check (to make sure you are not a wanted felon or something like that which would disqualify you from military service) and also to check your current body mass/weight measurements. Once the results of the audition are made, the info will be sent to your recruiter and he/she will tell you what the next step will be.

As far as conducting, there are many opportunities to conduct one of the smaller units such as a ceremonial band or wind ensemble, however, those opportunities are usually reserved for more senior enlisted members of the band, like those who graduated from a "C" school. However, it is always at the discretion of the most senior enlisted leaders/Assistant band directors/Directors of the band.

With more rank you attain, the more opportunities to conduct will open up. As Flugelgirl stated, all our Directors are officers and were at one time junior enlisted that progressed through the ranks, including the current commanding officer of the US Navy Band in DC, who btw is a fine trumpet. In addition to conducting in fleet bands/special band, there is a opportunity to serve as an instructor at the School of music and conduct basic music students. All navy and marine corps fleet musicians must attend and graduate from their respective "A" school. Once completed you will transfer to your first band, whether it is in the U.S. or perhaps in Japan or Italy.

if you have an more questions, PM me and I will be glad to help!!