SPEED TRUMPET ... Who are the fastest drivers?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Typically more of a slower balad kind of guy, I became fascinated with sheer speed listening to Anita O'Day recently. It was dazzling. I didn't know it was possible to sing that fast while enunciating every word. Trumpet players are sometimes even faster than this, every note standing out clearly, with tone. Not only fast, but rich .... absolutely breathtaking.

Dazzled especially by Lee Morgan and Al Hirt, so far. Wow! :stars: Who else should I get a listen to for this kind of musical thrill???

The Turtle

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The king of speed is Rafael Mèndéz.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Maestro. I keep seeing Rafael mentioned in here but as yet I haven't heard him. I'm putting him next on my list. So many great players to listen to, so little time ...

Turtle

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    speed means nothing without articulation

therefore it is Clifford Brown

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Arturo Sandoval and Wynton Marsalis

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have a recording of Maurice Andre playing the Carnival of Venice that is astounding, and it's some of the fastet, cleanest playing I have ever heard.

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    turtlejimmy,

Lots of recordings available as well as YouTube. You might wish to avail yourself of those as it relates to Rafael Mendez. He was great! He even played trios with his sons on some of the recordings.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    How fast can one play Flight of the Bumble Bee by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov? Anyone less than a minute?

9. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Allen Vizzutti - speed, sound articulation
    Adam Rapa (as above..)

..could become a new olympic sport - Extreme Speed Trumpeting. :D

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There's a competition every year called the WFD - Worlds Fastest Drummer - basically the competition is set up to play with sticks or pedals to simulate bass drumming, and the goal is to see who can play the most strokes in 60 seconds. It has virtually zero practical application to the actual production of music unless you are a speed metal drummer, and even then, just because you have fast hands or feet doesn't mean you can actually play.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010