SPEED TRUMPET ... Who are the fastest drivers?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The thread owner asked a very intelligent question. No competition (who is best, etc.), rather what should he LISTEN to.

That approach would work with range too.

I can really enjoy listening to players far above my playing qualities. I also gladly share that info. No short cuts, just inspiration.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    turtlejimmy,

You are very welcome!

Watching and listening the the master musicians on YouTube is a nice way to become introduced to their tone, skill, technique and musical expression.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    lakerjazz, that's a great recording. It's not the fastest playing I have heard, though. Some of Mendez's other recordings go even faster!

5. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Oh wow- I can't even imagine how fast those must go

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I find the YouTube Mendez' Motto Perpetuo better than Sergei's. It's totally out of this world. It does get lost on the general population though. I was playing it from YouTube on my work computer during a slow time the other day. One colleague of mine found it annoying and couldn't understand why Rafael wouldn't "change his tune." I guess that's a treat mostly for players...

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The precision of Rafael Mendez' fast playing is astonishing.

And as for the speed, he's such a nice guy, he tells yu how to do it in some lessons posted on YouTube. There he is in black and white in charming old footage, making it sound pretty easy. "Scales" I think was the operative word. And scales and more scales and really just a whole lot of hard dedicated work which he seems really passionate about.

And then there's a unique tidbit of wisdom that went by so fast I almost missed it. He said:

"You never use more effort to produce the tone than you do in ordinary conversation."

Did he really say that??? Rewind! Yep. That's food for thought, huh? If HE said it .... Must be something worth pondering.

The Turtle

Is that my imagination or does his "Flight of the Bumblebee" sound more like a real bee than other instruments doing this???

8. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Yeah turtlejimmy, I remember seeing those videos on youtube where Mendez explains how to become great- he really makes it seem so simple, and it probably is as simple as working really hard.

And no, it is not your imagination, but keep in mind that Mendez uses a special type of mute that really gives that bee sound. Part of it might also be the age of the recording, and since we are used to hearing that "bee" sound in old movies and what not, Mendez's just sounds right to us.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Oh, so that's why they were called B-movies...:lol:

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

I knew I knew that sound from somewhere! B movies .... There's even a clip on YouTube of Mendez in a western movie, playing fast and conductiong a decked out Mariachi band.

I think Rafael had it figured out. If you notice in these clips, he RARELY has to breathe. Take breathing roughly out of the equation and things would get simpler technically, wouldn't they? He even tells you how to do this in one of the lessons. What a guy!

Turtle

I think his other secret is that boundless energy he had, coupled with a really relaxed technique. Great stuff to study here, I think.