Speed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Apr 30, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm not satisfied with my ability or inability to play fast. I especially have problems playing connected 8th notes, 16th notes, and triplets when playing quick tempos. How and what do I practice to improve this situation?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The key to playing fast is to practice diligently, slowly. We are creatures of habit. When you practice slowly, you train correct movement patterns that you recall when they are needed. If you practice impatiently, you train sloppy movement patterns that haunt you even when you do not need them.
    ROWUKs Remedy:
    Fast positive attack with the tongue - perfectly synchronised with the movement of the valves - preferably with metronome at a very slow tempo! Increase speed only as fast as PERFECTION will allow. Don't forget, you are training precise patterns!

Getting your fingers to move quickly involves EXACTLY the same procedure: train slow, perfect movement. Push the valves down decisively. The speed of movement makes the transition between the notes crystal clear. If you push softly, slowly, it will never sound clean.
    Let those valve caps resound when they bottom out! When you get good at this, slurred scales can almost sound "tongued"!

3. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk,
    Once again I thank you for some things I need to hear, but more importantly need to do as prescribed. I'm sure I don't bottom-out the valve caps as I should. After reading your reply I know exactly what to focus on to improve.......tom