Speeding the patina process

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I delacquered my horn about a month ago. Now, I'm not expecting it to all the sudden, change into a patina color, nor do I think it takes only a couple months. But I really love Wynton's trumpet, and would like it to look similar, it's just a perfect color (and horn!lol).

I tried google, and came up with lots of jewlery forums, but they use chemicals on their brass! I'd hate to add more chemicals to my horn than what has already been done. I'm actually looking for a natural way.

I also read that they use: Buttermilk or urine. Yes, urine! I haven't tried the urine yet, and francly I don't think I will!lol

The Buttermilk didn't seem to do much. But I also tried lemon juice (just as an experiment, but nothing happened.

Any thought/ideas???

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
  3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Like I said, I was just wondering if their were any "natural" ways.

Thanks though, John!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bach219,
    why not forget about bragging rights and just EARN the patina through time? Do you think you will be more cool with a "dirty" horn?

Man, why can't we just shine with our talent. Why is the TRUTH not desirable.

You delaquered your horn, you can tell anyone that has a problem with the appearance why. The beauty contest is in what comes out of the front, not how ugly you have packaged it. The sooner your playing is so dazzling that the horn doesn't matter, ther better off we all are!

Wynton does not age his horns. He plays/practices so much that they have no choice. Maybe that would be a workable model for you? Just for the record, Wyntons' horn WAS shiny when it left the Monette factory!

5. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Well I just learned something new today!

I personally think that patina colored horns look neat! I don't care if others don't like it. Or if it makes my appearance stand out or not. Like I said I just like them for my personal reasons that's all.

I don't think I will play better or worse. I just love patina!!!:-)

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Handle it a lot with sweaty hands. The body oils and acids will do it faster then anything else natural. The things like ammonia and urea from Urine all take some time you put them on and have to leave them for some time. Are you planing on useing clear Lacquer once it has the patina you desire??? If so you will have to get the oils and such off it with out removeing the patina before you apply the Lacquer. I have scratch brushed one trumpet now and I am thinking of sandbalsting to get it more flat. I like the natural color of the brass much more then gold lacquer! I always thought gold lacquer looked as fake and cheap looking as those chromed plastic whell covers or like gold spray paint etc........I also am not a huge fan of any coating that interfers with repairs or is damaged by the most basic repair methods. So I much prefer plated coatings to lacquer or epoxy coating. A plus is that natural brass will develop a nice patinia over time. Usualy over time they will take on a color much like darkened old lacquer which I think is a wounderful look.

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I don't think I will put any lacquer on my horn. I want to try to get a bright sound as I have a dark one now. Plus I read that lacquer doesn't allow the bell to resonate much, therefore not giving it a bright sound. But I'm defiantly know what is to come with raw brass, and I'm up to the challenge!:D

8. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    I also just delacquered my horn (today). I love the way it looks now. I originally removed it 'cuz, as like you, I like to look of patina (plus I dislike lacquer or epoxy). A couple of my slides where worn through, so I figured, why not strip the horn. I ended up polishing it, just to see what it would look like. I think it came out looking good. Now I just have to learn how to play the thing (I should start my lessons next month)!... and all the practice I put in should slowly color the horn!

9. SydneyDan

SydneyDan New Friend

Jan 31, 2008
    Well, don't you all know that dipping the horn in urine let to the naming of the instrument known to us as the Cornet a' Pissed-on!! :thumbsup:

10. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    leave it out in the air...