Speeding the patina process

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Jan 23, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The second trumpet player in our symphony and I had an ugly horn contest; the winner was whoever could go the longest without polishing their trumpet. Brass will change into some interesting colors over time! A couple of tips: use sweaty hands on the bell and parts you don't normally touch, and be prepared for your hands, white tie, vest and shirt to turn green. Have fun!

3. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    My trumpet already had a bit of lacquer worn off when I got. In the worn spots, it turned a dark brown color. I never had a problem with it coming off on my hands or clothes. Maybe different kinds of horn brass react different with different people's chemistry? I polished the brass with some good polish, just to see what it would look like. It came out looking almost new, and the polish seems to really be protecting the brass. I really can't believe the difference in the sound. It is definitely more bright... but what I like most of all, is that the sound seems to have "opened up" if that makes any sense. I am very happy I decided to do this! I was on the fence for quite a while, but talked to some people that I really respect around town (jazz cats), and decided to go for it! On a side note, I work for a symphony (don't play in one!), and can't wait to get a chance to talk to some of the horn players!

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Put the horn in a big plastic bag with a sponge soaked with vinegar. Squeeze out most of the excess air. Turn the bag over occasionally and in a few days you'll have patina.
    rowuk is right, though, good music can be enjoyed with eyes closed. It's the ears we want to appeal to.

5. Melodious Thunk

Jan 14, 2009
    Can't tarnished brass be cleaned with (hot) vinegar?

6. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I believe there needs to be some sort of acid in it too in order for it to work as a polish. I've heard tomato ketchup... not that I'm recommending it for a horn. Attached is what a horn looks like that has been bathed in hot white vinegar only. I used the hot vinegar to get white paint off of this horn, as some prior owner had painted it with white latex paint for some unknown reason. There was no lacquer underneath, so the vinegar was acting on raw brass. Although it was not my purpose in doing it, the vinegar left a nice patina, but not a very dark one (And yes, I did remove the valves first).

Attached Files:

7. Melodious Thunk

Jan 14, 2009
    Did you leave it in the vinegar for a long time? After I stripped the lacquer off, I bathed my "naked" raw brass horn in a diluted white vinegar bath (for about 2 hours) and it came out shiny!

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I put near boiling white vinegar, 100% solution, into a big plastic bucket and left the horn in there for about an hour. Peeled the paint off very nicely. I was concerned that the patina indicated some sort of residue that I couldn't wipe off, but it was just patina. The horn played just fine after I rinsed it out and put it all back together. Ironically, I had that horn economy refurbed, and it's now a shiney loaner horn for one of my beginner students. Kids don't seem to appreciate patina :lol:

9. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ok, I think maybe I am lost. WOuld not be the first time.

What are the advantages of "patina"?

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you like it, then it will make you happy.
    veery