Speeding the patina process

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Jan 23, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    About the same as elderly people that are proud of their gray hair and wrinkles (like me). If they fit the character of the person, no one really notices, if it doesn't fit, it sticks out the Rudolf the Reindeers red nose.

The horn is unprotected, your hands also. If you have an allergy with any of the metals in brass you will get that in addition to the green hands too. The horn does not play better or worse, maybe just a TINY bit differently.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
  3. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am going to start calling you Dr. Rowuk.......

Is that OK?

Thanks bro

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Warning! Acetic acid (Vinegar) + brass = verdigris, a nasty, carcinogenic kind of patina!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have never earned a doctor title. I only made it to a masters of music and passed some IBM computer and communications courses. Presently I am working on some C# programming for special CAD applications (cutting large sheets of metal with plasma, laser or oxyfuel).

Nope no doc stuff.

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

My C is all raw brass, you should see the rainbow of colors in the bell! It had a bit of custom work done to it, so all of the solder marks are visible, and it's a very nice brown/rust/brass/whatever else color all over. I personally don't have a problem with playing a raw brass horn, but I don't reccomend a raw brass mouthpiece.

7. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    I thought verdigris was used in certain paints? It's carcinogenic via skin contact?... or from the vapers that are created?

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I would be very interested in what would happen if you were to brush your raw brass trumpet with yoghurt and observe the impact that the "greeblies" in the yoghurt culture has on the metal. I've no real idea - I would just be interested. :dontknow:

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I think my buddy Jason Harrelson uses a tub full of pickle juice to create a patina.

If you want the patina to stay the way it ends up then after you are done rub down the outside of the horn with a mineral oil (baby oil, skin-so-soft, etc) to put a protective coat on it.

10. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I have some nice raw brass drawer pulls on a piece of furniture I built a couple years ago. They've turned nicely since.

Anything you do to MAKE it patina, will look even overall, hence, artificial, at least until your handling of it wears on that.

There is a "gas chemical particle disposition" treatment you can have done at a professional metal fabrication shop i.e. where they make light fixtures, or faucets. The boys at Orange County Choppers I'm sure would have some really cool ideas, too.ROFL

Just let it happen naturally in time. Take photos of it now, and you'll have something to compare it to in the future. (tempus fugit) When I build cherry furniture, I don't stain it. In time it turns a rich red that can't be duplicated overnight.

I saw a used raw Monnette for sale, $9,750, claimed to have been owned by W.M. himself. I noticed water spots on the bell.

If you want, after you wash your trumpet, pull it out of the water, put it on your K&M stand wet and let the water droplets dry on it.

Now, if someone could only tell me how to get used to that raw brass smell on my hands after playing one, I might decide to own one too.;-)