Speedy Repairs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by SmallBlueThing93, Aug 4, 2010.

1. SmallBlueThing93

SmallBlueThing93 New Friend

Jul 27, 2010
    I have a lovely little Schilke that I've been playing for three years now--through high school. I'm now a senior and section leader but when I pulled out my trumpet this summer to practice a little I found a giant dent in the front of the removable bell. It's most likely it was dented somehow when I left it on the chairs during graduation in the spring. My dad, being the trumpet-geek he is, attempted to fix it himself but instead managed to dent it further. I need to have it fixed before school starts (around labor day), but I'm wondering if I should have it sent downstate for repairs using our local musical shop chain or if I shoul pay more money to send it to Schilke. Is there a significant difference in results? And how long do these repairs normally take? I was thinking of getting it cleaned in the process as well seeing as I've only bathed and snaked it twice a year since I got it.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you send it to Schilke it would probably take longer. I think I would call the shop and ask if they could do what you want and have it back in time for school to start.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Why don't you call Schilke and ask them! They may be able to turn it arond quickly.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Removing dents from a bell is normally a no-brainer - if one has the right tools. I have taken a pretty badly dented trumpet in and had it repaired on the spot while I waited and I could not even tell there had been a dent. Of course, like everything, there are different skill levels and some may not be quite as gifted but unless you have reason to believe that the local repair guy is not competent, I think you should take it there (less chance of damage or loss in shipping, quicker turn-around, etc).

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's really easy to screw a bell up taking dents out. Anytime you hammer on a bell you make it thinner. Schilke bells are already the thinnest on the market. The horn is just too nice to intrust to anybody but a top pro shop If you wrap it and pack it right it won't be damaged. I learned how to ship trumpets from Schilke. Never lost one yet. But hey it's your horn!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As you have to send it away anyway, I would call Schilke for an estimate on time and cost. It may end up NOT being more expensive. You do not know who at the other place is going to bang on your horn anyway.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Pat Hund is the guy at Schilke you want to talk to.

He will give you an honest quote, and if he says two weeks you can bet it will be two weeks or less.