Spider stand warning...

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by dburdett, Sep 21, 2005.

1. dburdett

dburdett New Friend

Apr 10, 2004
    Boston MA
    I just figured out the my beloved Spider trumpet stand has been wearing off the silver from inside my bell. A friend warned me of this and it seems to be so. On the top of each leg of the stand is a rubber insert that comes in contact with the bell. Rubber when in contact with silver plate turns it black, and the stain can't seem to be removed. I remember this happening with a rubber band used for holding in the third slide on a silver horn. I love using my Spider stand, but will have to figure out how to rectify this problem.

2. WUG

WUG New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Orlando,FL
    Rubber: Bad

Most natural rubber is vulcanized, as it strengthens the natural rubber. Sulfur is used in the vulcanization process and residual sulfur stays in the rubber. It doesn't take much contact for the silver to react with the sulfur, creating silversulfide (tarnish). Constantly removing the tarnish is also reducing the silver plate thickness in that area exposing the raw brass.

WUG

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Try using a more agressive polish like Blue Magic or Flitz - those black marks should come off, but it should be noted that both of those polishes are a bit more agressive than a polish like Wrights Silver Cream so over use will cause your plating to thin.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Aiiii Caramba! Get a smaller avatar!

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought there was a built in limiter for the avatar size. I guess not.

6. dburdett

dburdett New Friend

Apr 10, 2004
    Boston MA
    ...Sorry guys....I'm fallin' off my chair laughing here.....I can't seem to downsize the pic....

7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    OK, I'll bite. What is happening to all the text :?:

8. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Then delete it... it's not hard

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    if that doesnt work you can try miracle cloth or gently go over it with never dull.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Never Dull works pretty well on brass, although when I was in the Old Guard and had scads of brass to polish all of the time, Blue Magic was the polish that I really liked. We could get it in supply and I can recall several times using it around the valve casing of my old Strad to remove stubborn tarnish that the Wrights silver cream wouldn't even dent. I never even thought about trying Never Dull.