Spit constantly collects in first valve slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Scodwell, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Scodwell

Scodwell New Friend

Jan 2, 2010
    Does anyone know why spit collects so frequently in the first valve slide of my new raw brass trumpet? I have to empty the slide out about every 30 seconds of playing. Other than that It plays like a dream.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is actually pretty simple. The player blows moisture into the horn, that moisture condenses on the mouthpipe/slides and collects in areas that gravity draws it to.

If the first valve is vulnerable, there is a design "error" in the player who passes too much moisture into the horn (not easily fixable) as well as the geometry of the first valve that has an area where the spit can collect. I suspect that there is a slide bow probably on the bottom part of the first valve slide where this moisture collects. The length and design of the horn puts a vibrating node in the same place which causes the moisture to "gurgle".

Solution: longer leadpipe/shorter bell or the opposite to move the node away from the bow or an improved slide geometry that prevents moisure from collecting at that specific point.

It has nothing to do with "new" or "raw brass".

3. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Spit collects in those areas of the horn being closest to the ground.
    So it depends on the playing posture where the player's spit collects.

Since the average trumpet player holds the horn slightly downwards the waterkey works best at the lowest point of the tuning slide (and on the third valve's slide, of course).

If one holds the trumpet horicontal and twists it to the right at the same time the second valve's slide might become the lowest point and spit might collect mainly in that part of the trumpet - annoying!

Since the first valve slide of the perinet trumpet is the last slide to get passed by the player's air (if first valve is pushed after all) one in my opinion can collect spit in that place only by holding the instrument in an decent angle upwards - so first slide becomes nearly the deepest point.
    Do you do that?

Or are you talking about a flugelhorn (or a rotary valve trumpet) where the leadpipe goes directly into first valve - which is the reason for having a waterkey on the first valve slide instead of having it on third valve's slide on most flugelhorns.

Just wondering...

:huh: