Spit Leak

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by dwp63, Nov 12, 2009.

1. dwp63

dwp63 Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    I have a trumpet which leaks spit out of the top of the tuning slide at the joint between it and the leadpipe. A technican said to use Selmer tuning slide grease but that didn't help. Would those o-ring slide bumpers help? Any other suggestions?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The BEST solution is for a tech to take an expander to the tuning slide and increase its diameter until it has a snug, leak-free fit. Barring that, very thick slide grease.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Just out of curiosity, is the trumpet a Bach student model?

4. dwp63

dwp63 Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Getzen super deluxe.. If the heavier grease doesn't work, I'll have the slide expanded.
    Thanks for the advice.

5. CNYTrumpet

CNYTrumpet Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2008
    It's funny you mention Bachs, both of my Bach Strads, a 37 and 43, leak out the lead pipe at the tuning slide.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The cheapo Vulgano method for expanding a slide is to gently push an old mouthpiece reciever into the slide--not as good as the tech, maybe, but cheaper and faster.

7. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Using lanolin or slide grease containing lanolin (Schilke?) can help. Seems to provide a nice, thicker coat of lube and wears down more slowly than thinner-based lubes.

8. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Save your money and use Vaseline.
    Also keep in mind that there is a soldered joint that joins the inside tube to the outside tube. The leak may well be in that solder joint. Does that piece slide too easily or does it seem to fit just right? You may have a dent in the inside tube that is not obvious.

9. dwp63

dwp63 Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    I don't think it is at the soldered joint because it still happens when I play with it with the slide extended. How about using some slide bumpers (which I call o-rings)?
    I think I will try Vulgano's suggestion with the mouthpiece next.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    O-rings won't do it. If they sealed tight enough you would not be able to move the slide.
    Thicker grease is the safest bet and a tech the surest.

You can try flipping the slide upside down and see if it helps. This, while informative, won't help the problem unless you want to flip the horn to drain water. With the slide in all the way (right side up) there is a lot of grease sealing area, but as you pull it that becomes less. If the leak is about the same, then the outside of the leadpipe where it surrounds the slide is loose, likely from the slide being banged when it is nearly out.

v

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009