Spit not coming out of spit valves..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jason Lee, May 12, 2012.

1. Jason Lee

Jason Lee New Friend

May 9, 2012
    Aurburn, AL
    Whenever I empty the spit out of the spit valves, barely anything comes out. So, one day I decided to take out the tuning slide and just blow straight out of the lead pipe, and tons of spit came out. Is this a bad thing? And is there any way that I can get the spit to start coming out of the spit valve for once? (Ever since this started happening, you can hear the spit when I play, and I can't get rid of it.) Thanks!

2. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    you likely just need to clean your horn...

pull slide out ... use trumpet 'snake' and run warm (never hot) water through the slide. you may need to use a tooth pick or other small item if there is junk blocking the spit hole.

put slide back in and go to a sink. hold horn over sink (be careful not to ding your bell on the sink, counter or faucet) + get a glass or cup. fill glass with warm water. drink water (keeping it in your mouth ... don't swallow) and blow it into mouthpiece (no need to buzz like your playing). repeat. repeat again while pushing down the valves. blow air thru horn while quickly moving valves. Keep blowing and using spit valves until water is gone and bubbling sound stops.

do this every month or so to keep your horn clean. some folks do this after every playing session = yes, it is that important.

good luck

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have had success with Blaine's method (albeit some people cringe when suggesting sticiking tooth picks into the horn). But I am also curious, what kind of spit valves do you have?

4. Jason Lee

Jason Lee New Friend

May 9, 2012
    Aurburn, AL
    Thanks Blaine, I'll try that! And gmonday, I just have the normal King spit valves.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Great... I agree... give Blaine's method a try.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If it is so dirty in the tuning slide that water won't empty, the whole instrument will be dirty. Some King models are very susceptible to red rot. If you don't keep your horn clean you could have a major repair bill,

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    +1 to Ivan - you need to snake out the whole horn every month to 6 weeks [lead pipe and tuning slide more often].

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I sometimes have this problem with my Amado water keys - until I remind myself that - like valves - water keys (Amados particularly) need to be fully depressed, otherwise that's how the bubbling sound makes me feel.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't know. I myself find the flowing of water soothing... relaxing... metaphysically pleasing... and as I always say, I never meta physics I didn't like. So let that sadness out dear Ted. When you hear that gurgle in the pipes, breath in deep, let the air out slowly, keep the moisture in the horn for a few bars longer, and savor the pleasure.

Signed: Your spiritual advisor

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I can see it now Doc - breathe in deeply and then projectile cough out all the gunk suddenly withdrawn from my trumpet - errrrrhhhhhhYUKK.