Spit not coming out of spit valves..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jason Lee, May 12, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you live near an instrument repair you might consider having your horn chem-cleaned and looked over.
    I put a few drops of valve oil down my lead pipe every so often ... I think it help protect the metal from rot but I can't swear it does ... my logic it is helps keep the moisture off the metal.
    also ... are you sure you cork isn't loose? If it is it could be sticking to the horn and not openning up.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That has got to be one nasty dirty horn! I looked into the backbore of the guys mpc at church one day. Aack!!! "Stuff" was poking out the sides! I could barely see the light at the end of the "tunnel"

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thanks for sharing ...eeeewwwwww ... gag reflex

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Anytime!! ROFL

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Either the opening in the slide is clogged with gunk, or the hole wasn't made correctly when the horn was built. Cleaning wil fix the first cause, but not the second. If cleaning doesn't help, shine a light down the inside of the slide and make sure the opening to the drain fitting is smooth and flat. You can also look in through the outside of the fitting to make sure it lines up with the hole, but that should be obvious if you poke a toothpick in there while cleaning.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In my profession, we call this standard pulmonary clearance technique.

7. Jason Lee

Jason Lee New Friend

May 9, 2012
    Aurburn, AL
    I cleaned it like you said Blaine, and it didnt really help. In band today, I had that good ol' bubbling sound while I played, and I had to empty the spit straight out of the leadpipe. (Oh, and by the way, I clean it about once every month so I think it shouldn't be that dirty.) Next time I go to Art's Music Shop (about a 45 minute drive) I'll get it checked out. And also try out a few trumpets. :D

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    By your last post, it sounds like a mechanical issue. Let your tech fix it, please.:-)

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    should be a simple fix for the right tech. Good Luck

10. curdog

curdog New Friend

Apr 19, 2010
    Carthage, Texas
    I had this problem but I discovered that the cork on my spit valve was sticking to the hole in the slide, so I could blow all I want but no water came out. Since I had never had a cork go bad before, I never thought to check the water key. It was an easy fix once the problem was discovered. My repairman didn't even charge for the cork.