Spit Valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    My 3rd spit valve is off alignment. The hole where the spit come out is not covered fully. More like 2/3 covered. I'm starting to think that it hurt my overall tone?!?!

I tried moving the spit valve itself, but I out that in order to fix the problem, the entire SOLDER portion of the spit valve needs to be moved back a fraction.

What can I do to fix the problem? It only affects my tone only when the 3rd valve is used, right (Low: D, Eb, Alternatice E...etc)?

Also, I can't take it to the repair man, as money is an issue!

Thanks!

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Ok, that is a problem, but the repair for such a problem would only be $5-15. It's possible that the spring or setup is bent, and that it simply needs a new key, not a new mounting. Regardless, it wouldn't amount to any significant amount of cash to get it remounted or simply reset.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If the hole is uncovered on the sides, just rebending the lever part will fix it. Resoldering is probably unnecessary.

4. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    could u give us a pic so we can give you the advice you need? something like this is easier to understand if we can see it...

5. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I finally had time to post a pic of it, then it told me it was too big?!? I try to get a pic in by the end of this week!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Get a reasonable tech to look at it. I don't think that your spit key was installed improperly at the factory. The cork is probably just deteriorated.

7. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    x2.

Also, check to be sure the cross-screw hasn't slipped out of its threads. That would cause your spit valve to un-align itself to one side or the other.

8. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I'll try to explain it...

It's almost like the hole is made too close of a reach for the spit key part.

I tried switching my main tuning slide spit key with my 3rd valve spit key and still, it is not aligned!

I think the way the factory drilled the hole on the 3rd slide is off?!?

Like I said, I'll try to get pics asap!

Thanks!

9. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    what kind of horn is it? and how long have you had it?

10. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    It's a TR300, and I've had it for almost 5 going on 6 years.