Spit Valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Dec 9, 2008.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

This would indicate structural damage or severe wear of the trunion screw. We still need pictures to determine the type and severity of this damage.

OLDLOU>>

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Here's a pic, it's not good quality! The one that was good quaility was to big of a filesize.

Attached Files:

3. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    It appears to me at a quick glance that the curve of the "arm" of the key has been straightened somehow. If the key were to be bent back to its proper curvature the cork would likely seat nicely over the hole. If it has never been a problem until now then it is likely that has always seated just fine until recently. You may have caught it on something recently and the force was enough to bend it out of shape causing your current problem. A decent repair man should be able to fix it in just a few minutes and would probably not charge much - if anything at all.

Best of luck with it.

Roland

4. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't think this is going to cost very much. It is something a decent repairman could fix up in (I may be off here) 10 min? I wouldn't try bending it yourself, though, because you might make it even worse. Then you may need a new part.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It looks like you have a main slide water key on your third valve. I don't think bending it will help. but it's an easy fix. let your local repair shop look at it. It may only require installing the correct key. How long has it been like this because this would make any note with the third valve sound really bad.

6. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    It's has actaully been since I got my trumpet. I just never thought (then) that it would affect anything.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I disagree with Brassmonkey. If the key curvature has been "straightened", then restoring the curve will result in the cork pad contacting the upper (furthest) part of the port (hole) but remaining out of contact with the part of the port closest to the key's pivot point.
    To correct that the key would need to be bent in an "S" curve - the part nearest the pivot bent toward the slide, and the end with the cork bent away from the slide.

It looks to me that somehow the entire key is mounted too close to the opening in the slide. It actually looks like a key for the main slide was installed instead of a shorter one with the cork closer to the pivot point, and the pad carrier angled to fit flush on the opening.

Have you checked to make sure the two key arms weren't accidentally switched? The key for the tuning slide would be longer and likely have less curvature than the one for #3, because the slide curvature on the valve slide has a smaller radius than that on the tuning slide.

If the tuning slide key is ok, check with a technician to see if he can find a shorter key with a bigger offset angle on the cork holder. By offset I mean the angle of the pad holder in relation to the key arm. (The "heel" of the pad is further from the centerline of the arm than the "toe".) I hope I am not making this more confusing than it needs to be. Any tech with time in the business probably has a drawer of old water keys, one of which would fit.

It is hard to imagine that slide not leaking there.

While I was busy typing Bob Grier beat me to the punch in far fewer words! Good one, Bob!
    veery

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  8. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I tried switching the main tuning slide one, with the 3rd slide and the switch is a little better, but still not good enough to cover the 3rd slide hole. I probably will bring it in anyways, I just remembered that the springs on both are worn out! I just thought that maybe I could try to fix it somehow.

Thanks everyone!

9. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    If it's been like this since you got the horn then the wrong piece of hardware was installed before you got it. Take it to a repair man and he can probably fit one to your horn.

R.

10. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    How long have you had this horn that the spit valve springs are already worn out? :confused: