Spit Valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Well the spring just broke this year. I have a rubber band on for now, until I can get it fixed.

But I did buy the horn used...so I really don't know it's actaul age.

2. heartratestudios

heartratestudios New Friend

Dec 27, 2008
    You can try covering it with a trumpet safe material such as cloth or shaped metal. Otherwise take it to the shop.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If the place you bought it from sold it to you like this, take it there and tell them to fix it for free. If them give you a run around, go somewhere else and call your Better Business Bureau and report them. this was a serious error on their part. they should have know better.

4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    That's probably what I'll do Bob!

I mean I did fianlly pay it off 2 years ago. And I did just fined out that the key was off alignment. Do you think they'll believe me?

The place I bought it from was Port Hurnon Music Center, and it's a 2 hr drive from here. So Instead of driving their, my school should be able to drop it off and in the mean time have a replacemet trumpet for me.

5. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    i doubt they're gunna "take care" of you if it's a horn you took posession of 2 years ago. especially if it's paid off, it's not their responsibility; shoulda had it fixed when you got it; it shouldn't be an expensive fix. still need to see a picture though.

EDIT:

Saw the picture... it definitely doesn't look broke in the true sense. it either has the wrong waterkey or it's mounted wrong. looks like the mount for it should be higher up on the pipe so the cork lands on the drain port. my guess is someone soldered it back on without checking where the cork lands and just sent it out... i think i see some solder around the base of the mount. again i'll stress, a "replacing" job for that shouldn't cost much, i know my shop wouldn't charge me more than thirty bucks to remove and remount it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    yea if you've had it for 2 years, it's yours. take it somewhere else. I wouldn't go back there unless you know that they have cleaned up their act.. but I do have a question, how did you go 2 years and not notice this before? Any note you played with the 3rd valve would sound very bad.

edcon1981 likes this.
  7. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    good point

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    My Fluegelhorn fell off it's stand at a gig one night. (someone pulled a mic cord that was running underneath it). Well the trombone player in the band is a master brass fixer-upper, and he took a pair of needlenose pliers, put a towel between the pliers and waterkey and VERY GENTLY bent the key back into place. I would not attempt this myself personally but he did make it look easy !

Hoghorn,

PS I put my horns away FIRST now when we tear-down !!!

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I don't think it's out of alignment. it's the wrong water key. It's for the main slide. For a music store to make this kind of mistake means they don't care and/or are idiots.

10. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Well, when I started to play trumpet back in 6th grade, I loved it! Then 8th grade rolled around and then 9th and so on, I started to dislike band never practiced nor cared! Then in 10th and 11th grade, I started to love band and actaully try a lot more, cleaning my trumpet, wiping it down after each use...etc. And one I was cleaning it and I looked closely at my spit valve and noticed it was out of alignment!

I mean, I really never heard a difference with my D, Eb, Altern. E...etc