spit wads ,balls ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I need to know the name of those things you put in your horn and blow them through ,for a fast clean?
    Anyone know?

Dean_0

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The ones I uses are by Herco and they are called "Spitballs". They can be bought through Musician's Friend.
    Herco Trumpet Spitballs | Musician's Friend

Directions state: Insert moist Spitball 6 inches into the lead pipe using pencil or similar object. Replace mouthpiece and blow hard to send spitball through horn. Discard used Spitball. Maybe harmful if swallowed, so don't suck back on that mouthpiece, no matter how interested you are in having a cleaner colon.

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    COUGH !COUGH! :roll:

Thanks
    Dean_0

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In college, we used to gross girls out by (A.) shooting the spitballs against the white wall for a nice splatter effect, and (B.) reusing the spitballs to see how far we could shoot them down the hallway. Only 21 trumpet majors and any given hour the music building was open you could hear at least one of us practicing. After hours, too, once the janitor called it a night. There was a coat hanger stashed that we could unlock the crash bar with. :whistle:

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've used these a bit and find they tend to jam inside my cheaper (student) trumpets - the pro trumpets, the Harrelson Bravura, and the Getzen Eterna Classic each have no problem - and the Spitballs do get some crap out.

I reckon though, that I am better off squeezing a good squirt of Isopropyl Alcohol down the leadpipe and letting it slosh around (carefully) before draining all the associated soluble gunk out of the trumpet - then I blast the Spitball through and finish with a rinse.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You are truly an intellectually gifted, highly educated man. My eyes wall up with tears of emotion and pride... ether that or I am standing too close to my own isopropyl alcohol.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Very disappointed in Gary this morning. He never should have brought this up.

You know, someone is going to "run" with this idea. In a few months, there will be a spitball-like colon cleansing product on the market. And it will promise to cure everything from the common cold to migraine headaches. ;-)

Mike

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ...but kaolin and morphine has been around for yonks. Best over the counter product going imho

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I got dibs on the patent. Gotta do something though to protect the innocent on the receiving end when that sucker comes flying out.