spit wads ,balls ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I dunno....I just eat soap and blow bubbles out my butt. Not so much a RAY OF POWER as spray of power.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In the medical world, we call this a bowel prep. So now you're ready to bend over while I see the light.... AND at the end of that light is a thousand dollar bill, just waiting to be plucked by the endoscopist. So spray away power ranger, spray away.

3. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Oh the topics these threads devolve into, lol. Ted, great idea on the iso alcohol swish before the spitball.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is a really simple intra-wash process - I do this once a week, and then deep wash about every 3 months. I thought my trumpets were uber clean until I tried the alcohol - I'm not sure I like the taste that the spitballs leave either - hence the rinse ................. ah, and relube your valves too.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Related question: I remember in junior high I would go straight from lunch to band class, and cleaning all sorts of flotsam out of the instrument was just the order of the day.

Now I'm very conscious of what goes into the ole horn, so I always brush my teeth and rinse with mouthwash before I ever play.

Does anyone else do that, or am I weird?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, but another side benefit of the isopropyl wash is the de-greasing of the valves. The valves always work faster for me after an isopropyl alcohol rinse.

7. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    I always floss and brush before playing. After I play I use a Reeves leadpipe swab, then use a kit that has foam plugs about the size of ear plugs. You soak them in alcohol, squeeze out the excess, and blow them through. My horns stay very clean this way.

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I've had success with Herco Spitballs in between cleanings, but after reading all the postings, I may have some misgivings...lol.

Best wishes,

Lloyd