Spit?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi

I see people playing trumpet (youtube videos) and half way through the songs they open up the valve to clear it out from spit (where you got 3-4 seconds of rest or at the end of the first verse etc)

My question is... playing in a church with carpert... definately do not open up the valve and get spit all over the floor, thats just dirty and the spit from the brass will stain the carpert... so what do you guys do in this situation?

Is there supposed to be a towel the person stands on while playing or what? (it also doesnt look too good if a lot of liquid comes out.... so i dunno)

George

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Most people just let it go wherever. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone put down a towel at a gig. At home, I practice over white carpet and it's not stained at all, even after many years of trumept playing. If I had wood floors, I'd probably get a little rug, but to protect my socks more than the floor!

As for not looking good...well, spit-emptying isn't going to stop, so get used to it, I guess.

3. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Bit hard when I been playing guitar all my life... like serious... spitting in church... there has to be some way people do it.

Is it possible that when you get much better the valve doesnt really fill up with liquid as fast and wouldnt need to be emptied until the 'end' of the song rather than in the middle of it? Thus able to clean it out in the corner as you put the instrument away rather than infront of an entire audience of old conservative people that would get disgusted.

I mean, i practice for 5 minutes and I open the valve up and so much spit comes out its like i been playing for 1 hour. Hence I wondered.

4. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    It's not so much spit as condensation. (Warm air + cool metal = water)
    You can get "Spit Spots", which are US$9 from Kelly. "SpitSpot is made from an ultra-absorbent textile layered with a plasticized backing to block moisture and lend skid-resistance. A little more upscale than that old golf towel you keep in your horn case?"

5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    The other thing I forgot to say is... how on earth doesnt it stain your carpert? I have had 40+ year experienced trumpet players/teachers say "do not empty it on carpert" becase as it goes through the brass it colects something of it and thus stains the carpert.

Maybe it sometimes does and doesnt?

Maybe empty it out more frequent to not let it build up so it isnt noticable. Cause serious when I opened it last time it was like somebody poured a bottle over. The liquid went from the valve to the ground without a break in it how much there was. I generally play until the sound starts to go "tap tap tap" like a breaking sound (picture car backfiring sound) due to toomuch fluid inside, then empty.

6. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    I tend to empty whenever I have enough time to. I'm not OCD (Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not), but I've had enough section members go to play and just get "Glug glug glug," so now even if I emptied it 2 bars previously, I'll still hit the water key and double check.

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I use handkerchief

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    It's water, not spit. The air coming ot of your lungs is humid, the moisture condenses on the tube. There may be a little spit in there when you have a really long stacatto in single tonguing, but that won't be much.

I do not believe that brass is soluble in water, so it will possibly mix with some slide grease, valve oil if you put some down the mouthpiece receiver to coat the inside of the tube (recommended by many brass techs), but brass is not likely.

It does not stain my carpet either.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ... and so do I. Simple, clean, easily washable, no offence to anyone, socially acceptable anytime.