Spit?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I carry a cleaning cloth, that I can drop beside the horns, and if it is a wooden floor (slip hazard) or a new carpet (like the hall we use for rehersals on Saturdays) then it works OK. I have never realy thought too much about it. In a pub, it just joins the spills :)

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    stop worrying and play, the correct name for a spit valve is a water key at least in England. Most people who watch you will not be ignorant of the need to empty condensation from the instrument so I wouldn't worry about that. Oh and I've never stained a carpet either. I like most empty out at any opportunity and waiting til the end of a piece could be a gurgly cracky disaster. At the worst case you could sound like a cracked record

3. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    In looking over my shoulder to where I stand when I practice, I see no stain on the carpet.

As for condensation, usually not spit, I have to polishing clothes in my gig bag at all time. One, oddly enough, is for polishing. The other, I keep on my lap or stand if standing to relieve the build up of condensation.

There is nothing worse than a girgeling horn, because if there is one certain in all of this it is you don't empty the girgle will come either at a solo or very soft passage.

I produce ALOT of condensation, I don't know if that is good or bad. But, I know this the end of the song is not an option for me.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is the reason. Very well said! My carpets are also not stained. I do have a small microfiber cloth in my case all the time. In churches with carpet, I drain into that, more out of courtesy than necessity. You never know who may be watching......

5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That was my meaning as well, I do not worry at home in my music room, no stains on the carpet to show. It is more for coutesy and not to make the unknowing sick...and not to leave a slip hazard for the clarinets in front. As I said I don't think too much about it. I usually drain every chance I get; as the Irishman said "2 B sure, 2 B sure!!"

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually if you blow hard enough, the water leaves the bell as vapor. Then you only need to make sure that the row in front of you does not get burned by the steam. Trumpet blisters ar very painful!

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Pete,

You must be the first trumpet player that I've seen to worry about the well-being of the clarinet players...What does your precious wife play? Let me guess - clarinet?

Robin,

There is so many other hazards that trumpeters may provoke...you'll get busy at least for a week if you try to name them all...

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    GXMan,

I doubt in the long history of brass instrument playing has anyone been truly concerned about "stains on the floor or carpet" from water expelled from the horn.

There might be stains from oil occasionally coming out of the bottom valve caps, but not condensate from the horn?

In most venues, the non-carpeted floors are swept and mopped after the performance. There is probably more dirt on the floors (carpeted or non-carpeted) from our shoes than anything else?

I don't believe water expelled from the horns stain the carpets and if so, it would not be any different than the wear normal carpet sustains in everyday use.

Practice more and worry less about water expelled from your trumpet.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Philip Farkas relates in either an interview or his book "The Art of French Horn Playing" how in his younger days in Chicago, Reiner came to him and told him that a wealthy woman who was a great financial backer of the CSO accosted him (Reiner) at a cocktail party and expressed great disgust at how the french horns were always draining their horns right there on the stage in public! So Reiner told Farkas not to do that anymore and to tell the whole horn section.

During the concert, it came time for a horn solo (I don't recall the work or even if it was mentioned in the article) and all that came out of the horn was gurgles and belches. In the intermission, a livid Reiner confronted Farkas. "How could you play so horribly? You've never sounded that!" Farkas said "I just flipped over my horn and all that built up water poured out onto Reiner's shoe. No mention was ever made again about us not emptying our horns on stage."

10. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    For Nick: My real life job is in Safety and Operations; it really would not go down well to have an injury caused by me :oops: That would be Bad Press and it is my own Business; hence I am little anal about safety.

So handkerchief and microfibre cloths are considerations :thumbsup: