Spit?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    me too.

2. Beef

Beef New Friend

Feb 26, 2010
    My Church is about to get a new carpet. I'm expecting to get complaints about my spit but will carry on as normal until someone says something.

To put a towel down would just draw attention to the spit.

Over Christmas I played a carol concert with my brass band where the organiser made us all use a small polystyrine dish each for our spit and then collect up all the dishes at the end. I don't know what they wanted the spit for.:-?

Beef

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Guys!

If I'm thinking about it, or was told not to empty on the floor, I do it on my pants leg. If I'm wearing black, any stains won't be noticible (haven't been, so far) and if I'm wearing jeans as in rehearsal, who cares? As I don't put alot of oil down the bore of my horns, anything that come out is just condensation as has been stated before.

Guy

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Be sure your horn is warm when you begin playing and keep it warm. Just like a glass full of ice water on a hot day (something we haven't seen in a long time) where moisture condenses on the warm outside, moisture will condense from your breath on the warm inside of the horn while the outside is still cool. Once warmed, this will be minimized.

In my french horn days, I recall playing for the grand opening of a new industry in my home town. The concert was outdoors and the temperature hovered in the high twenties, meaning my french horn was more of a still than a musical instrument with my having to dump condensate every few measures! It probably would have sounded better if we had been playing a moonshine still because intonation on a cold day is murder!

5. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Have you ever seen a tuba player after a long day of playing? You could swim in their spit!

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I didn't bother reading through the tread. But, I hold my hand under the spit valve and catch it in my hand.
    What you do with it after that is your option.
    I have casually lowered my hand and grasped the hem of my suit jacket and let the condensation absorb into the jacket hem.

I have simply let it run down my left hand to my cuff.

We have discussed in the past that it is primarily condensation and just a small amount of spit and valve oil. It shouldn't hurt the carpeting if it is good carpeting.
    When I was living in an apartment I was charged for carpet replacement because the valve oil I used damaged the carpet. They thought I was smoking and dropped ashes on the carpet.

It is not unheard of to place a towel on the floor the same color as the carpet or flooring.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    If not getting it on the floor is an issue, I keep an absorbant handkerchief in my jacket pocket and simply hold that in the same hand that opens the water key. The handkerchief catches the spit and it's not messy at all. I simply put it back in my pocket or continue to hold it in my hand while I play.