Spitball Newbie

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, Feb 15, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I've never used Herco Spitballs, but just ordered a can and got them in today. I specifically ordered "trumpet" Spitballs, but they sent me the number 18 Large which say "for large bore Tenor Trombone, Bass Trombones, and Baritone Horns". I assume that these are not the correct ones for trumpet, but you never know if people have just found that the large work for trumpet better than the original standard size. Before I send them back, can you guys weigh in on this?

2. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Well as long as the spitball can fit through the leadpipe easily, you should be good. The leadpipe is usually the smallest part of the horn, so if it fits through there you should be ok.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've seen the larger sizes go through some trumpets and stick in others, and when they get stuck, they get real stuck!

4. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Hmm... yeah, I don't want to go poking around in my horn trying to get a piece of foam out. I think I'll send them back.

5. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I stopped using them after one of them left bits of foam in my leadpipe.
    I guess there is no substitute for a good old horn "bath."

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

I had the same problem....vendor sent the large spitballs. I cut 'em in half and used 'em anyway. They didn't get stuck!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    I am looking at my spitballs, also size 18 (standard) for trumpet, cornets, french horns and small bore trombones.

Maybe yours were mislabeled. Spitballs are great for breaking in monel valves, blowing one throughout the break in period removes a lot of metal dust between rinsings.

They are also great for distributing valve oil through the instrument. They do get stuck in my Olds Ambassador though. A warm bath fixed that. Have fun with them when you get the right size.