Spitballs for the ole Flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzpik, Jan 22, 2016.

1. calihorn

calihorn Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    I have a Yamaha 631. I push the spitball in as far as I can with the blunt end of a pen or pencil whose diameter is smaller than the leadpipe. I'm careful not to lose the pen or pencil inside the leadpipe by pushing too far. You probably don't really need to push it in that far but I find it is easier to blow for me the farther along I've pushed it in. I then remove the pen or pencil and put in my mouthpiece and blow hard and fast. I also hold one hand in front of the bell to catch the spitball. Works for me!

2. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Nah...get a horn flush kit and watch the crap come out...don't need to do it all that often.

3. jazzpik

jazzpik Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2015
    Atlanta
    what flush kit do you recommend for the flugelhorn.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I use this one.

Horn Flush | Horn Blaster

Whichever one you get, make sure you have the right adapter for your faucet.

FWIW, on my trumpet, I swab the lead pipe once or twice a week, I use spit balls every week or so, I flush the horn ever few months. This keeps my horn spotless.

The flugel is more challenging. I can swab the mouthpiece receiver, but I really can't swab the lead pipe. Spit balls get stuck in my Getzen Eterna. A snake only goes so far. So for me, the hornflush is more important.

Mike

5. jazzpik

jazzpik Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2015
    Atlanta
    thanks Mike and everyone. It is just a guess but I expect perhaps spitballs working in some flugelhorns and not others may have something to do with the bore size. The 460 bore flugels may be large enough to allow spitballs to pass while smaller bore like 413 may catch them. Just a supposition not scientific but makes sense. Thanks everyone.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure cutting it in half would work as the Getzen Eterna mentioned by TrumpetMD is a rather large bore flugel, on the level of medium to large bore trumpets.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I thought I detected the taste of tidy-bowl when I played your horn last month.:-P

8. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hmmm. That wasn't Tidy-Bowl. I only use Drano. ;-)

Mike

9. jazzpik

jazzpik Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2015
    Atlanta
    hum......did you mean "Tidy Bowl"? As "Tidy Bowel" would fall under the category of medications like Ducolax. Etc.

10. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    "Tidy Bowel". Great name for a laxative. What do think Gary? Should we trademark it? ;-)

Mike