spitty, airy tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yamahatrumpeter6570, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Yamahatrumpeter6570

Yamahatrumpeter6570 New Friend

Apr 5, 2008
    Maryland
    Hello,
    I am a 15 year old high school sophomore and have a minor concern. I've noticed over the past few weeks that my tone has developed a spttiyish airyish tone. It also has taken a toll on my range as well so I'm pretty sure it's an embouchure problem and not an air leak or anything. Lately i've been practicing a lot to prepare for all-state auduitions in the upcoming month and i've read in a few other posts that my chops may need a good old fashion rest.

By the way the way just in case this helps
    I own a 2 year old Yamaha Bergeron Custom Model (YTR-8335LA). I do most of my playing on a Bach 5C mouthpiece and i do my lead playing on a Bach 3D.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    You can't build Rome in a day. You need to practice consistently over an extended period of time. Do you have a private teacher? What does he or she say?

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you don't have a private teacher, find one and let them help you. Don't try to fix this yourself. Only a teacher who can hear you in person can help you. they have to hear you play to diganose the problem.

Bob G

4. Yamahatrumpeter6570

Apr 5, 2008
    Maryland
    I do study with a private teacher, but he hasn't noticed anything in my tone due to the room we are provided for lessons does not resonate very well and everything echoes making it difficult to notice problems in my tone. Also it only recently got to the point of me noticing it in my daily practice room. So he has not got a chance to hear it lately.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A spitty airy tone is not the sign of an embouchure gone bad, it is a sign of someone that has beaten his face up.

Balancing a big, full symphonic sound and "lead" playing is something that even pros have to carefully plan out. This is a mistake that MANY make, thinking that switching mouthpieces is the solution. A lead player in a big band has a different skill set and sound concept than a symphonic player.

I think you just need to take it easy for a couple of days and everything will return to normal.

Balancing a lead book and legit playing at 15 is a tall order - don't be too tough on yourself.

6. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    i get that often after playing. Then i open the spit holes and release the spit. I usually clean the trumpet inside out once a month to clean inside the tubes and make sure all spit is gone. After that it sounds nice and good again.

7. Yamahatrumpeter6570

Apr 5, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks Rowuk for another amazing post.
    I'll take a few days rest.

Thanks Again,
    Ryan

8. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    If you want to eliminate a leak on your spit valves being the problem,just cover the holes with duct tape.Also its been pretty cold the last few weeks in the northeast and dry chapped lips could be partially to blame along with overplaying.