split lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heidi, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    I have a major problem with my bottom lip splitting a lot. I try all types of chap sticks and lip sticks, but it still splits right in the middle at least once a month. It seems to stay in better condition if I play my trumpet. I used to have a big problem biting my lips, but now I've almost stopped. It never splits enough to bleed. Mostly it just hurts when I smile a lot. It doesn't bother me any when I practice. I usually avoid upper register notes, but I still practice.

Does anyone know of any great chap sticks? How should I practice when this happens or should I not practice? I would miss a lot of practices if I stopped for a few days everytime it splits.

2. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    hello Heidi . I have problems too with my lips... but no so major (they split in different places , but the healing is very quick using lip sticks with vitamin E ) . try ChopSaver or La Tromba Lip Tonic if you didn't try them yet ... and protect them every time you gou outside . the wind and cold weather are the bigest enemies of our lips.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I have no experience with this at all,
    but how about moistureing the lips
    up with a little olive oil half an hour
    before playing (just an idea)?

If you decide to try it, please share your
    experience with it . . .

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    This is a major problem in Drum Corp. The best thing to use to heal your lips is time. Unfortuantly not all of use have that kind of time. I recommend using DCT, you can find it at most CVS's, Walgreens, and Walmarts. Things you need to stay away from are Carmax (it's horrible, it breaks down the lips) and anything too oily.
    Burt's Bee's Wax is a really good thing to use. I use it alot, it helps with my capped lips problem (I'm a Florida boy living in Virginia now..yea :(.)
    If you have the time I'd really just wait to for you lips to fully heal

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'll second the DCT use,
    whenever my lips get really bad, the Blistex DCT Lip Medex brings them back in a few days,
    for normal, I use "Daily Conditioning" DCT or burt's bees and i've found that they work, except during the blizzards, then I generally need to use the the "Lip Medex"

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I really have no experiences like that, but suggest that hydration could help in any case. Drink more.
    Keep your mouthpiece warm. A cold mouthpiece really makes me lick my lips a lot and that has given me grief in the winter.
    As far as lip balm, I have tried a bunch of stuff and it seems to be pretty personal. Most of the ones that I have tried are too greasy and the mouthpiece has no "grip" any more. Chop Saver is as close to acceptable as I have been able to find.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I strongly suggest ChopSaver, it works really well. Just don't keep it in your pocket or it will melt from too much heat and be all gooey. (even in our lovely GA Winter) If not, Walmart carries Burt's Bees Wax which works pretty good too. Both have vitamin E which is supposed to help your lips somehow, can't remember how anymore as it's been a while since I've read up on it.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You might try putting some sort of lip balm, whichever you like, on before going to bed. I used to have lots of trouble with chapped lips and putting on some Chop Saver every night has pretty much taken care of it.

9. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    Thanks guys, lots of good advice. I'm making notes and I'll be trying out some of these recommendations real soon. Let you know what helps.

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Burt's Bees