Split Lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ryancibc, Oct 7, 2009.

1. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    I recently split my botttom lip in 5 places from getting hit from an industrial hose (the end of the hose was yellow brass of all things). 4 of the splits happened off side of middle and 1 is on the inside towards the centre of my lip. The lip has scarred and where it has healed the new tissue is hard like cartilage. Very stiff. The scar sits just under where the mouthpiece rests on the lips. So the rim of the cup sits on the scar. I took a week and a half off from playing while this healed. I can barely make a sound come out. I know that I must not be the only one to have split a lip so my question is will the scar tissue soften with additional playing. I have tried to play for two days now and am frustrated that I have the tone of a beginner.

I was able to free buzz and am no longer able to do so.

Any suggestions?

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The wound may continue to change for a while longer. So it's hard to say how much scar tissue will remain.

Did a physician evaluate the wound? A lip laceration (or any facial laceration) that is potentially disfiguring or has the potential to interfere with function should probably be evaluated by a plastic surgeon. I'd see one now, to get an expert opinion on how the laceration is healing, and assess the need for a revision of the scar.

Best of luck with this.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I had a similar thing happen to me, I moved the mouthpiece so the scar tissue was inside the cup and off the rim, it took me 6 months to get used to this, but it did work, talk to your teacher about this.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Massage the scar tissue for a few minutes a few times a day. That is what the doc told me to do when I got lip surgery.

5. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    Warm Epsom Salt Solution. Soak your lip a few minutes a day, minimum. It Works!
    Don't Swallow, unless you have a need for a laxitive.

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Scar tissue does not resolve on its own. It can be stretched a bit, but may require excision which opens up the possibility of more, but localized scar. You may have to adapt your methodology to play.Superficial scars may respond to topical creams avaiable, but won't help the deeper ones.

Dr. Mike

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  7. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    I did see an unsympathetic emergency Dr. who on that night had actual lives to save vs. my lip. He wouldn't stitch it. I can't blame him I'll live even if I have to take up the clarinet (yikes). I will have a plastic surgeon look at it. thanks!

8. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    Thanks. I will consider this if other options fail.