Split lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Jan 11, 2009.

1. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    These few weeks I have been practicing much more than usual because my music got a lot harder. Three weeks ago I split my lip in two spots. Both were on my top lip. Then last week it started to get better but today after my practice my lips are now split in 8 different spots, 5 on the top and 3 on the bottom:-(. My lips are also very swollen and red and puffy and sometimes when I'm playing they start to bleed, and when that happens I take my ChopSaver out. So does anyone know how to heal split lips and how to prevent them from happening next time?

Thanks.

Edit: My lips also itches and feels really dry while I'm playing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    I try to increase the amount of water I drink to help the body's tissues hydrate internally. Then I use Blistex medicated lip ointment, especially at overnight. It seems to work well enough for me.

3. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Sounds like a major dehydration issue. You're in Oz, right? What's the temperature like over there?! Drinking more water is almost certainly the way to go.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It sounds like your lips are very chapped ,give your lips a rest of a day or two or until the swelling goes down, medicated Blistex is what I use.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hydration is an important issue, but a drastic increase in practice exposes your body to strain that it cannot immediately handle. If your routine is less than desirable, you have simply beaten yourself up. If you didn't notice that this was happening (the lip does not split 8 times all at the same time) YOUR routine is too brutal. That is just dumb. Practice smart (90% mezzopiano or less) and in 30 minute sessions and maybe you do not need to look for any medicine.

Unfortunately the body does not have protection mechanisms to slow us down when we play with too much force. We suffer afterwards! The solution is just to play smart. Testosterone is the trumpeters greatest enemy.

6. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    all I can say is oouch.

The lesson is, "Listen to your Body". The first time the split happened should had said, I am either dehydrated or practicing to much/ wrong; or both.

I suspect that in any case it probably wont happen again.

7. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    The World's Best Lip Balm!
    the very best

EDIT: The link made itself say that! All I did was copy paste a URL. interesting.
    EDIT2: ^^^ I love you Rowuk

8. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    The problem is, I get split lips often and I drink lots of water. I recently started using ChopSaver and it helps but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Wait...I just remembered something, in the morning when I play I can't play at ALL. When I bring the trumpet to my face I can't even make a sound, and after 10 minutes, I can make a sound, but every aspect of my playing is about 300% worse than usual. Then on the same day, At about 3pm and later, I can play great. This happens about 95% of the time, and the very rare days where I'm lucky to be able to play in the morning, I wonder. My teacher says its a mental issue and it depends on how you're feeling (sad, happy, etc.) but I don't think thats the problem. Could this be linked to my split lips?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you can't play in the morning, then you did something wrong the day before (assuming that you do not have some rare disease of the chops like saxofonitus).

AS I have posted before, get a decent teacher, a daily routine, practice smart and most all problems disappear quickly. If you don't believe your teacher who knows and has heard you, how do you expect us to figure out what your problem is? If the beginning of every day is frustrating then the intelligent thing to do would be to fix the problem.

Come on, how can you expect us to tell you how you got split lips? All we can do is tell you how to get smart about the care of your body and to play and practice intelligently. The rest is up to you. I am sure your mother can tell you why your lips are chapped - ask her. She for sure knows what to do to fix them!

10. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Saxofonitus? What's that? I searched it up in the dictionary but no such thing as that.