Split lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    1. WATER!!!
    2. Some type of lip balm/chap stick (I personally use Burt's Bees)
    3. If you put your horn in your face 1st thing in the morning & a "cow fart" comes out then like ROWUK said you did something very bad the day before.
    4. If your lips are swollen that means you beat the crap out of them the day before, & the day before that, & the day before that one too.
    5. Try this it really works...go to the pharmacy & ask the pharmacist for Vitamin E tablets. Before you go to bed take one & poke it with a straight pin. Once the oil is running out rub it all over & around your lips. Don't worry about "the mess" it makes. Do this until your lips feel better. Maybe a couple days will do, maybe longer, hopefully not.
    6. Clean out your horn & sanitize your MP to rule that out as a possiblilty.
    7. Lay off the horn for a day or 2 to see if it helps at all! Too much sure ain't working!! Maybe rest WILL!

2. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Rest definitely helps. But right now I can't afford to lay off a day or too. I have just recently be pushed down to 2nd and my teacher explained that she didn't want me to push myself too hard, but I know the real reason is that my rhythm and accuracy is off, plus I really am pushing myself too hard, according to you guys.

3. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    So...if you value "our" opinion...listen to what "we" are saying & REST!!!

4. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Yeah thats what I'm planning to do.

5. scottlashbrook

scottlashbrook New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    London UK
    A long time ago a very well respected Natural (as in period- no valves) trumpeter let me in on his secret for keeping his lips healthy. Calendula Cream. It's completely natural, made from the Marigold plant, and is a great natural healer. I do also use the grease based Chapstick stuff but more as protection from the elements. Put a small ammount of Calendula cream on your lips 10 minutes before you play, and then again straight after. I will also occaisionally use it during a rehearsal break if my lips are taking a pounding. I'ts non greasey, and you'll find that within minutes it absorbs into the skin. Hope that helps!

6. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Where can I get this cream?

7. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    saxofonitus: ROFL
    Here's some advice that I've found to be helpful. If you must play a whole bunch when you're not used to it, take Tylenol before playing, it reduces the swelling of your lips and increases the endurance, but for now I have no advice, but do this in the future.

8. scottlashbrook

scottlashbrook New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    London UK
    Should be available in most Chemists/Drugstores, or as an online purchase, I just googled it, and found plenty of different brands available. It's not a secret cream, just not usually associated as a brass players treatment! I believe that it is one of the ingrediants in Chopsaver, which I also use, but i personally find the pure stuff better as a treatment, and like I said something like Chopsaver as the prevention. But all the other advice that has said water, and rest are 100% spot on, prevention is better than cure!

9. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    I use to get this a lot, I now use Alcohol swabs to clean my M/P every couple of days and have not had any problems since.

Adder

10. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Every trumpet player should know what Saxofonitus is. A bacteria grows in sax mouth pieces. It is carried by sax players, it is caused by their unusual life style. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But the wood in their, well you know, reeds, can carry a bacteria. The only way to avoid it is to avoid them. Just keep your bell aimed in their direction, play with a full FF and keep them at bay. They are not bad people, they just use, well you know, reeds.:roll: