Spot silver plating

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by gordonfurr1, May 20, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Who does spot silver plating?
    I've got a nice silver-plated trumpet that has three dime-sized wear spots at the typical finger locations...any idea about what it would cost for plating such?
    The rest of the trumpet is gorgeous and doesn't need to be touched.:dontknow:

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Caswell has a plug'n plate silver plating kit for $49.99, does a reasonable touch up job that you can do yourself.

Regards, Stuart.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Whoa.....I'll check that out. Thanks!!!

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    That Caswell kit looks hard to beat!
    Wait...that's just the player wand...I'll have to see how much the silver solution is...

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Most repairers have these spot plating kits, which are fine for cosmetic touch ups where there is no finger contact. The plating is very thin and wears off very quickly at contact points

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, I have evidence of that on my Olds:oops:

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    As you said "at typical finger locations" it is likely that replacing will only last a short time. If you go this route, please keep us informed of how it works. I have a couple of horns with problems similar to yours so might consider if your efforts prove fruitful. Also, let us know how much prep is needed.

8. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    d'Accord! I have the kit. It works well, is easy to use, and the prep work is negligible. (Polish the brass shiny with your favorite whatsit, then clean thoroughly.) But it doesn't last too long, because it's difficult and time-consuming to put on a thick layer of silver. And these are the wear points, after all. Still, I think you could do the job well, and it is possible to put on a thicker layer with a bit more effort.

I bought only the wand, and the solution. I have power supplies around. IIRC the silver wants 4.5V at less than an amp, three D cells in series would do the job, or could any 5V USB charger of surplusness. (From a dead phone, etc.)

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was giddy when I first saw these kits because most of my horns are silver. When I spoke with folks that had actually used them with less than stellar results, I wasn't so giddy. Eventually, one day, maybe, if my wife approves, I will have some of them re-plated.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had a Bach Strad spot plated on some of the contact point wear spots. I was surprised by how quickly that wears off.