Spot silver plating

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by gordonfurr1, May 20, 2015.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Spot plating does not last like real plating. It wears off very quickly, especially on contact points. Fwiw, I threw my Caswell kit out, as I found it to be basically worthless. Yes, it can make things look good for a short time, but it does not last. Personally, when I sell horns I prefer to take good pictures of the wear as it is rather than selling something that looks good knowing it will quickly wear off. just my preference...

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    That is good counsel. Unless I am having the horn entirely redone, I'll just do the same.
    If it lasted as long as a real replating, and looked as good, it'd be a different story.
    Now, on a KEEPER...and if I had the kit, and could take my time and build up a thick layer...and redo when I desired, then THAT would also be a slightly different matter...but on a flipper, the only honest thing to do is show the reality.
    Thanks for the thoughts.

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Cool. Just as a side note, I have also tried building up a thick layer and still not satisfied. I applied it several times a week to my own Bach on a wear spot over a 2 month period, using half a bottle of the solution. With normal playing it still wore off in a matter of a few weeks. I think the problem is more of an adhesion problem more than a thickness one. For decorative items that need to be touched up and then put on display these kits are probably great, just not for things that get handled.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I was figuring I could maybe increase the current...

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Bad thing is...thirty years ago I had a professional setup...exactly the right size tank to dip the whole trumpet in, and all the solutions...but...alas...I sold it to further my racing project ('63 Austin Cooper Mini with 1275 hill-climb engine in it)...I'd like to have BOTH back.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    We all have things we would like to have back,Gordon:roll::lol::oops:

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Virulent virility. I'd like to have that back, too.

10. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    I'd love to have the money I spent on a spot-plated King Master back. The horn was beautiful; I paid a lot for it. Now it looks like crap. I think spot-plating is best avoided.