Spot silver plating

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by gordonfurr1, May 20, 2015.

1. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo New Friend

Feb 17, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    Posting on a 2 year-old thread, but how about the nushine silver plating solution? The product allows you to plate over raw brass, and it is a liquid which you apply it to cotton, and rub it to the brass. Then apparently it makes a permanent silver plate over the metal. Would this work on a trumpet?

2. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    I'd like to see evidence that it actually works. So far, spot-plating appears to be a complete bust.

3. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2015
    I tried the liquid stuff years ago and did not have much success. I have used the Caswell mini electroplating kit with success on small parts more recently. With some patience you can apply several thin layers and then polish it to blend with existing silver whereas with the lotion stuff it seems like you can only apply only one whisper thin layer that wears off very easily. Liquid solution might be ok for a part of the trumpet that doesn't get touched much

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Those Liquid stuff are pure-scam material, really to fish in buyers who are scared or not sure about electroplating and make all kinds of rumours about the Liquid Plating stuff. Those are money wasters, I am appalled to see that money that people use to buy that crap could've helped a poor child in Africa or other countries or charity.

Caswell kits are very good and one British Jewellry repair seller on EBay offers a very nice long-term use plating kit that I might invest in a few months time. It comes with silver, nickel and gold plating and it is solely electroplating! :-)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    link!!!

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    link for?

7. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    The wipe-on solutions are galvanically driven, and the reaction stops when the silver layer is an atom or so thick. So, the durability is nil. The Caswell kit, being driven by an external power supply, is capable of putting a usably-thick layer on.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Never mind. I was tired and didn't see the name of the kit!

9. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I use this! Works great!
    [​IMG]

10. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo New Friend

Feb 17, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    I purchased the liquid kit, and it worked pretty fine. I tried it on two spots. I first polished the raw brass, and cleaned it very well so there is no grease from my hands. I used the liquid kit and rubbed it, and a bright finish was restored. After four weeks, one spot stayed, the other was gone. The portion which came off had probably some grease left. But the other spot is really durable, and it is like the stock plating. If you clean the raw brass part really well, it will be a success. If you don't, it will come off the next day. I used it on a small bell spot; it does not get touched much.