Spray lacquer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Apr 1, 2011.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I discovered a small spot on my 1st valve slide where the lacquer has come off. The horn was new in January so I'm a little disappointed that this has set in already (particularly as I wipe the horn down with a cotton cloth as I return it to its case).

I'm not too worried about the cosmetic aspects of this - and it's only visible to the person behind the horn - but I would like to stop it spreading.

I've read in TM about various lacquers you can buy in hardware shops, including a fine spray lacquer. Is there a way to make a patch-up job on the lacquer "blend in" to the existing lacquer to (a) minimise visual impact and (b) ensure a seal along the boundary between existing and new lacquer?

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Just clean the spot and use clear nail polish
    to avoid the spot spreading.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    +1 to nordlandstrompet

4. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Takk - that sounds worth a try. I'll consult my local nail polish expert!

--bumblebee

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What's the horn? Is it an expensive pro horn and is it new? If so, maybe send it back for warranty repair?

I've never been overly concerned about the finish of any of my trumpets. Well, at least not since about 9th grade anyway. Any instrument used with any regularity develops some wear - that's just the way it goes, and as a result, I've never been overly concerned with it. Then again, I don't flip instruments - I use them, and I typically use them for quite some time before I consider other trumpets, so I've never been terribly concerned about resale value, so lacquer or silver wear doesn't worry me unless it affects functionality. That actually happened on my first Strad where I ate a couple of pin holes through the tubing in a couple of places.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man , that's some nasty sweat!:D

7. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I've heard of using the clear nail polish, I don't know how well it will blend in, but it will seal it. Repair shops touch up spots where they re-weld braces and such all the time. I wouldn't think they would charge much to touch it up.
    -Bobby

8. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Severinsen Destino III made by S.E. Shires - bought new here in Oz and it was pretty expensive but it has the most beautiful sound - my Strad feels dead in comparison (though the Strad is still GREAT I hasten to add, in case I white ant my chances of selling it).

I use it every day, and have some major gigs coming up so don't want to be without it for the next few months so sending it away for a minor warranty issue isn't really an option. I'm not concerned by lacquer loss except that I would rather the lacquer be there to protect the brass from any possible corrosion. Resale value? What! Sell it? In any case I'm not sure lacquer loss is covered by the warranty. The lacquer loss at first just seemed like some water/spit marks on the 1st valve slide and it could be I didn't wipe that part properly and my spit had something which disagreed with it. It's still a small spot. Where I hold the horn doesn't seem to have any problems yet.

--bumblebee

9. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    With older instruments with lacquer loss I have heard of people using brass polish to shine up the raw areas and then putting some car wax on it to protect the surface and retain the look. You'd have to keep re-applying every so often I assume.

What is "white ant" (as a verb) by the way? I've never heard of that expression

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I would suggest using a water based polyurethane clear, anything that contains an aromatic ester solvent may make matters worse.

The warranty that I have for a 1964 Bach Mt Vernon specifically excludes the lacquer, classing it as a tempory finish only.

Regards, Stuart.