"Squeaking" Notes to Help Increase Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigSwingFace, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think that gzent was accurate - :-)

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am probably wrong, but my take is that the Cat Anderson Method and MTM (Greg Spence) have something in common, and that is to play as quietly as possible to avoid using the abs as a means to move up. If you get the foundation right and work on your chops then use that whisper, you use your air to increase volume.

So the chops can squeak a high note without the use of the abs to blow the airstream to move up, then just use your air and you should find that the sound will be fuller.

The method of blowing taught by MTM comes into it's own above the High E-G. That is where the technique comes into it;s own, and you don't get that explanation in the Cat Anderson Book. Greg Spence's explanation with the use of a pucker is like a key to a lock, to me at least.

BTW I still struggle, but I think you are correct.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think the high G works all the way up from the low G below the staff. I've been working on a lot of things the past 4 or 5 years, and my main goal is to be able to play without major adjustments in my embouchure. Mostly using air -- so I've done lots of work with octave leaps, interval leaps -- scales, scales, and more scales (3 octaves where possible (pretty much F, G, sometimes A) ----and most of this is truly relaxed and not forcing it in the upper register. I will say, I played softly and lots and lots of long tones for years ----- and now I have a fairly reproducible range from low G to the High G on most days. The High G can be loud -- but I am starting to be convinced that if you just play it with solid tone it will be heard. I say, starting to be convinced, because I have not uncorked too many High G's in community band warmups (it's a thing of not showing off -- which surprisingly most trumpet players abide by -- kind of an unspoken thing) ---- I did uncork a 3 octave F scale (yes you can do it with lipping the low F# down and some slide work, and also a soft 3 octave G scale the other day -- but in a pre-concert warmup with a "sax" player wanting to know how high I could play -- and I did it softly so as not to interfere or show off ((((but a couple of the lead players noticed I think, cause they started calling me "TRUMPET PLAYER") ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    by the way --- I have in no way figured out how to do a 4 hour gig like GM ole buddy ole pal -- and still have the high G available at the end of the gig ------ so yes, I need more work ((but can usually depend on up to the high G for the first 45 minutes to an hour)) --- perhaps still a pressure/endurance thing ------THE [email protected] TRUMPET, there is always something that needs working on!!!