Squeaky Mutes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by abtrumpet, Jul 14, 2011.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I don't the OP thinks it a huge issue but it would be nice not to have. There's definitely times when say a dropped or squeaky mute can ruin the effect of a soft passage in the ensemble

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 This will quell S.M.S (squeaky mute syndrome).:roll:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I breathe into my bell when I have the time, (on fast mute changes you just have to jam it in the bell as quickly as possible) but less because of the squeak and more because the condensation helps to keep the mute from falling out.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best way to get rid of the squeak is just use the mute a lot. Practice with it often and like most other things trumpet, when you have earned it, it is there.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My wife and I had a fun conversation about this thread last night ... we were out buying some cork grease for a clarinet and she said "Hey, there's you answer to the squeeky corks" ... I told her I am not sure people want to have grease all over their bell.
    Yes Patrick .. it is a bit trite.... my wife watch the video and said " well, it mustn't have bothered the judges too much" ... I think it is cool that all kinds of questions get asked though ... things I had never even thought about ... but I have tried to be very quiet during a concert slipping a mute in ... and how many of us have heard someone's mute hit the floor because they didn't push it in enough because they were trying to be quiet.
    It's kind of a fun thread...makes me laugh thinking about all those mutes rolling around the stage..

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    love it

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Put some cork grease on the corks. Let sit over night and wipe off . Squeak gone, no grease in bell. I've played many a show where a squeaky mute would have been a problem and a hard look from the conductor

8. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Ah yes. Lick it and gross out the band director. Very Good

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Try sandpaper to rough it up a little.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So what if the "cork" is neoprene? Gonna lick that!?:-P
    BTW, it can be very loud as I have discovered, loud enough to be a sound effect (using my Yammie SB mute).;-)