Squeeking Noise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jul 10, 2008.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I dont knwo what htis is, but sometimes while I am playing I hear a squeeking noise. I dont know if it is my trumpet or osmethign vibrating in my room.

Has any one experienced this problem before?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My shoes squeek sometimes!

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Yes

4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Valves, a piece that need to be resoldered, could be a number of things. Try shaking your trumpet around, try to hear for that squeek.

Good Luck!!!

Bach219

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY

The proverbial mouse in the pocket?

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hey, note360! It appears nobody here has a good idea as to what makes the squeaking noise--can you produce it without playing, like fingering and such? If it appears only when playing, maybe you have some baby double C's that are waiting to grow up!

Have fun!

7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I think I know what he means. I used to get this problem after a long day of practice during Drum Corps. Just relax man, its your throught trying to close up cause your forcing yourself to play, very tense and uncontrolled. Just drink some water, relax, and take a break.

8. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Shaking doenst reproduce hte sound. I have done all of htis.

I have noticed I think I have a minor air leak and I am pretty sure it is from my water key. The padding on it is lopsided and it looks like there is a tiny gap. So tiny bits of air might be flying through there and therefore causing minor squeeking noises... IT could also be the two things on my third vaulve slides. THose thigns have a tendancy to make noise even when they are fully tightened.

I dont think any one can hear it except for me, but it is driving me up the wall.

Additionally I inspected my mouthpiece and saw a flattened side... or well nto completely, but it wasnt completely round. THis could be causing a the noise. I am t rying a lead piece and I am getting a brighter sound, but no squeekyness... This may be hte asnwer. I need to grab my other 3C I guess. I wanted to move to a 3C soon any way, the 5 C was really starting to feel restricting, even though wiht the 3C my notes crack alot easier in the upper octave at the moment... However, I can bend notes in and out of tune alot better giving me more flexibilty and less of a crunched up feel in my face...

What is my private teacher going to say about my sudden mouthpiece switch though... I should consult him first. I have a feeling he was goign to ask me about how I felt wiht the 5C soon any way. It is from my previous teacher almsot a year ago, so I have yet to go an a safari with my current teacher.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Front end alignment or the ball joints

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Lead piece - brighter sound, may obscure the squeak so you don't hear it. Silence your water key with a piece of a plastic bag pinched in it.