SSB Audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Derek Reaban, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I certainly had a unique morning! I arrived at the US Airways Center at about 6 AM for a short warm-up and then met with a trumpet ensemble to audition for playing the SSB at a Phoenix Sun’s game.

The auditions are being held all day (7 AM to 7 PM) and we ended up being No. 16. The auditions were held inside in the front entry of the Arena. There we’re about 100 purple chairs set up facing a stage, and above the stage was a giant screen TV with a tape that was showing patriotic scenes (Iwo Jima Memorial, various American flags blowing in the wind, a statue of George Washington, an eagle flying in the blue sky, etc.). There was a Phoenix Suns screen set up behind the stage and I’m sure that the News guy that was filming it got some really great shots.

The last time we did this audition was three years ago, and it was a little better organized this time. After I filled out the application form we sat down and the 15 applicants in front of us began their auditions. A guy in a wheel chair playing the harmonica started off (pretty good, except one note was off by a half step). As always the variety was classic, “Them rockets…”, 4/4 time, odd mixed meter (2/4, ¾, 4/4, 5/4), forgotten words, too loud, too soft, too much ornamentation, and the singing postman (he started too high, modulated up a step about 5-6 bars in and then fell apart about 3 or 4 times). I’m sure he’ll be on the highlights!

Our group rehearsed at about 6:30 AM on the South side of the building and everything fell together very easily (3 new players this time). The guy that organized the group was playing his herald trumpet with a nice USA banner. Since there were seven of us, I filled out the application calling us the Magnificent Seven. We were all in black and could just as easily been called the Brass Ninjas!

Anyway, if you’re in Phoenix we’ll probably be on the Channel 12 news tomorrow morning when they show the best and the worst of the days entries.

I’ll post another overview (with a picture) if we end up playing for a game this season.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  2. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    "Anyway, if you’re in Phoenix we’ll probably be on the Channel 12 news tomorrow morning when the show the best and the worst of the days entries".

So, which entry will you be in? :) Just kidding! Sounds like it was a good time. I always wondered how those guys got in there and got to play the SSB.

Trax

3. Derek Reaban

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I’ll be the guy in the sombrero, playing the mouth harp, riding the donkey, holding the leashes for the seventeen “tuned” dogs that will be “barking” the anthem with the festive (and traditional) mouth harp accompaniment.

Actually, I wouldn’t mind seeing that act!

4. Thermos

Thermos Pianissimo User

Jul 15, 2006
    Do i have your permission to call a brass ensemble at my school (if i manage to form one) the "Bad Brass Ninjas"? :D

Congradulations, I hope you play it!

5. Derek Reaban

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona

Sure!

Here’s the group playing the audition:

[​IMG]

And here we are afterwards (I’m to the left of the Herald Trumpet):

[​IMG]

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nice pictures!

Is there anyone else we might know in the picture?

Like maybe the far right?

-cw-

7. Derek Reaban

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chuck,

Yep! That’s Rogerio on the far right.

The full group (L to R) is:
    Keith LaSpaluto, Tommy Johnston, Derek Reaban, Tim Moke (former student of Manny), David Tibideaux, Bruce Legge, and Rogerio Araujo

8. Thermos

Thermos Pianissimo User

Jul 15, 2006
    wow! you guys look great

Why cant we have a good group come and do the star spangled banner at Arco Arena (Sacramento Kings)? All last year it was mediocre singer after mediocre singer. The best singer was probably a really talented 12-13 year old, and i'd say that would be the case in a blind test where you didnt know her age. :(