St Paul's Cathedral

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sidekick, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Some of you might vaugely remember that I joined a (British) brass band at the end of last year to help improve my playing. Well on Saturday I am taking part in my first public performance with them and it is on quite a big stage. We are playing at St Paul's Cathedral here in London, for an hour and a half before a large ceremonial service.

For those of you who don't know, St Paul's is the cathedral where the Royal family tends to get married, so it is a full size event. I am only playing lowly 3rd cornet, but hey, I'm still playing St Paul's.

Wish me luck.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Break a leg, sidekick!!

3. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    If I am not wrong , last wedding in the Royal family was at the Westminster Abbey ...
    St Paul is definitely a place where you feel a thrill in your spine when you step in , I can imagine what you feel when you play there...
    anyway , good luck !

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Good luck Sidekick, it'll be great I'm sure. Charles and Diana got married in St.Pauls. As the saying goes, I know cos I was there. Well, when I say I was there. I was on the roof outside with a girt big rifle. Counter Sniper Duty.

5. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Very very nice! Congrats!

I was singing with a men's chorus that went on a UK tour a couple of years ago. One of their stops was St. Peter's. Alas, I didn't get to make the trip. Too expensive for me at the time.

6. Sidekick

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    http://[​IMG]

As I say, quite a big event.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    My Dad played the Last Post there, for the service of President Roosevelt. April 1946.

8. Sidekick

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I think that means that you win by a country mile. That is much more impressive - talk about a pressure shot. Much respect is due.

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    He played in Windsor Castle for the funeral of King George V too. And loads of times at the Cenotaph. The joys of being a Royal Marine Bugle Sergeant. (Apart from being a Commando during the war years that is.)

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    If you were able to join that group, that's means you were already good enough to be there. You are going to be fantastic!

BB