Stage 1 Trumpet Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by NickD, Oct 14, 2005.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

As many of you know, I use the Asymmetric's made by John Lynch. I endorse these and Felix does market them via the NYTC.

That having been said, I do still, ocassionally, play conventional mouthpieces (turned on a lathe as opposed to being special cut on laser/computer guided tool and die machine).

Felix has desinged a new mouthpiece. I played the prototype last summer and posted about it. His finished product is ready to go! In fact, since the mini-fest in Chicago, the box of mouthpieces he had there is about the last thing left to ship back to him! :-)

I have played his mouthpiece quite a bit, and I highly reccommend it. For ME, it would play just fine in ANY idiom - legit to jazz to lead. I found it to be quite flexible. I could just drill out some nice double C's on it and yet sitll play soft and pretty.

Felix, jump in here and help me out if I mess up.

I believe it is loosely based on an old Bach 6B, which is one of my favorites. However, it has a completely different cup. I don't know what the backbore is.

If you're looking for something new to try ("if?" hehe, hehe! we're trumpeters! We're ALWAYS lookinf for new stuff, eh?) you really ought to try one.

When you do try it, do be sure to try adjusting the placement on your chops a bit as you experiment with it. If thee is one thing that I've learned from playing an asymmetrics is that I can PLAY absolutely ANY trumpet mouthpiece if I do this. The level of comfort and success then depends on the fit for me.

Stage 1 trumpet mouthpieces...

Give Felix a call and give them a try.

Peace, all.

Nick

2. Harrelson1

Harrelson1 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Maryland
    Nick: I saw these on his website....very interesting, but you say it is ONLY one size? similar to a 6B? Any other sizes coming? Also, what is $? Thanks

3. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Outside rim about a size of a Bach 7-8 (Note: Measured in ID at .650 right at a Bach 7 specs) It has a specially designed straight back bore, double cup and a cushioned rim.

An all around mouthpiece, but geared more towards lead playing.

Similar to a smaller rimmed Rudy Muck with a chambered throat and similar qualities to the Parduba with the double cup. Although geared towards the lead player, these characteristics make it feel a bit bigger AND allows some room for a nice tone (unlike some lead pieces).

At this point,there are no other sizes yet.

Thanks,
    Felix

4. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hey felix, cool looking mp!
    I hear there,s gonna be a lead smigity-smack model coming out. :lol:

5. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    STAGE 1 MOUTHPIECE

I have had one for about 2 weeks now and will not look back! At first the rim seemed to have more of a bite compared to what I'd been using... After a few days that sharp feeling went away and now I don't even notice it!

The tone is centered and steady. The mid to lower register is probably most surprising in that it's actually easier play down there even though I think the overall cup volume is less than what I had previously.

The double cup is not as severe as a Parduba but still physically noticeable...

The upper register is easier at lower volumes but maintains a great tone without having to blow your head off to produce that tone.

Great great mouthpiece!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope this helps!

Tony G

6. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY

Want one? :D

7. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    HELL YEA! :wave:

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I'm always up for tryin some new lead peices, but what is the price?

9. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hi bear! :lol:

10. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY

Hi Bear.
    The price is $90.
    There is a trial period,of course,before the payment is made(for TM members only) :D
    If you don't like it,you can just send it back.