Stage 1 Vintage - limited edition

Discussion in 'Horns' started by NickD, Jan 27, 2006.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Folks,

I was at a recording session recently (to be discussed on a separate post). Felix was there and had a new horn for us all to try (5 NYTC artists). This is another incarnation of his Stage 1 California model. He is calling it his Vintage California. Man this is a nice axe!

It has the same bell, valve block, valve slides and valves as my Stage 1 California. so the valves are these incredible NYTC valves. I just love them! What is different is that it does not have the Eclipse style bracing and rings. It has more traditional structrue. It also has a different tuning slide and lead pipe. It DOES have a sterling silver leadpipe, though!

I have a raw brass model on me (I bugged Felix for it at the recording session). It simply plays great! The intonation is superb and the tone is excellent. I can make it sound mellow, but if I step on the gas, I can announce my presence with authority. I had it on a big band rehearsal last Monday, and it felt great. I then went to a jam session and had all I could do to get it back from a trumpeter who was trying it out!

Felix is selling these horns in silver plate with a nice Protec single case. Now here is the REALLY cool part! The standard Stage 1 California goes for $2500. However, the Stage 1 Vintage model is going for $1500!!!! This is a steal for this horn, seriously. There are only 15 of these, and when they are gone, they are gone! If you had tried a Californina but felt uncomfortable about the $2500, here's our chance to get a horn that plays pretty close!

Now don't get me wrong. It does play a bit differently, and the Stage 1 Californina model that I play is worth every penny of the $2500. That is still my preferred horn. However, for folks with more limited funds, I can't say enough about how good this horn is for the dough! I plan on using it my upcoming clinic!

I will be at a jam session next Monday night. I posted elsewhere on this. If you're in the Chicago area, you owe to yourself to drop by and play this. Come on by and sit in and try this new axe. Here's the link:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8288

OK, that's it for now.

I hope to see you there!

Peace.

Nick

2. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    DELETED

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

You must be under 21!

You must be under 21, Dan! Sorry!

I'll be playing some other gigs at whcih you are welcome to come by. I'll be posting those soon, but I'll be with the Chicago Grandstand Big Band on 2/12 for a church concert, open to the public and on 2/26 at Fitzgerald's which is a bar, but one which will allow the whole family to hang. They just won't serve Minor Booze (unless it's by Bill Holman - heh, heh). I'll also be playing a concert at Glenbard North High School with my quintet, open to the public. The clinic at Glenbard will be 2/16 from 12:30 to 2:00, but I'm not sure how amenable the school will be to allowing outsiders in. You'd have to call ahead.

Peace, man!

Nick

4. soundcheck

soundcheck New Friend

Jan 31, 2006
  5. NickD

NickD Forte User

Drop by my gig this Sunday and try this horn!!

This Sunday I am playing a concert with the Chicago Grandstand Big Band.

Edison ParK Lutheran Church
    6626 N. Oliphant
    Chicago
    773 631 9131
    we play from 2-4.

I'll be the featured trumept soloist and I plan on playing the Stage 1 Vintage. Drop by and give it a try! This gig is in the Park Ridge area.

I hope to see you there.

Nick

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

Comne on by the gig!!!

Folks in light of the heat Felix has been taking, recently, I'd REALLY encourage you to pop on by the Edison park gig tomorrow. I must give you fair warning, if you do. These little church gigs do charge a small cover (usually around $5.00). There is no smoking and no booze, but there is a lot of comraderie and the band has some very nice sets laid out for tomorrow. I can't get anyone comped. Sorry.

I'll be playing both the Stage 1 California and the Vintage. The Vintage doesn't have Felix's custom valve caps, a I got mine from Felix when he brought one to the Saratoga, NY recording session. It was still in the box.

Within the paramters of good taste with the guests at the church, I let ANYONE play my horns. See for yourself.

Gotta crash!

Peace!

Nick

7. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    The length of the valves and the wrap look a lot like my Constellation. Gee, I wish I wasn't soooo far away from Chicago. It would be fun to play test that Vintage California horn against a Constellation!

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I had the opportunity to try this horn and the California light model a couple months back for a few Christmas church gigs.

The Vintage is a great horn for those used to the Strad 37. One will IMMEDIATELY acclimate.

The sound is a little darker than the 37, with the heavy caps. Without the caps, it has a little more zip than a 37.

This model is offered with either heavy or light valve sets. I didn't have the chance to try the light, but the heavy valves were alright (I'm generally not a fan of the heavy ones).

The feel/blow of this horn reminds me of a Bach with a Blackburn 19 pipe.

Very good horn for the money.

Van

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have been told that I am done buying new horns [at least until my wife gets a job] , but if I were able I probably would jump all over the Vintage. If Nick says it is a good horn than it is and Felix is nothing but a class act. If I had the bucks the Phaeton I tested would be mine. Dave :-(

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Guess you're just going to have to win an Eclipse "something-or-other" then, Dan. :-)

I can think of worse things to have happen.