"Stairway to Heaven" equivalent for Tumpeters?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    A profound musical question for my fellow trumpet players.

When I would have my guitar with me it seemed like people would come up to me and tell me they played the guitar and if I had my guitar out of the case they would ask to try it and play either a small portion of either, "Stairway to Heaven" or "Roundabout" 99 percent of the time.

Now as I have taken up the trumpet I was wondering if there is an equivalent song that trumpet players play?

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Good question. For me it's usually Star Wars or the Rocky theme.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It wouldn't be a song. It would be high pitched squeals.

4. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Aaaaaaaagh... Please God, NO... Not the Star Wars or Rocky themes!!! :shock:

Every single H.S. marching band played those tunes back in the 70's!! I have tried to block them out of my mind over the years. :lol:

Anyway from what I remember, people would always "try" to play Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good" whenever they come up and borrow someone's trumpet.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    rofl

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In Germany it would be Il Silencio or Trompetenecho.

7. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    When I'm at praise band practice at church I get asked to play Zorba the Greek, or Spanish Flea!!:lol:

8. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Funny thing about Stairway to Heaven. Many music stores I've been in have BIG signs posted in the guitar section-NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN! I suppose every ham and egger that thinks they can play pick that song to destroy(come on-you've heard them!)

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I'd guess it would be warm-ups with (of course) stratospheric notes just so you can say your warm up covers the entire range.
    Just a side note. Frank Zappa did a rendition of Stairway and the horn section did the Jimmy Page guitar solo. Really cool.

10. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I played in a band that had a sandwich board out the front with a list of requests that the band hated and a price to play them. Oh When the Saints came in at $100 AUD but was beaten by the Chicken Dance $250. Most requested tune by older folk would be I Can't Get Started (Bunny Berrigan) flight of the Bumble bee also rated highly as a request.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009